Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Questions about Project Data / Remoting 4

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

schub

Questions about Project Data / Remoting 4

Post by schub » 16 Oct 2014, 10:25

Hi,

TLDR;
How can one use Remoting 4 to send data between to Ventuz machines without using Director or other external applications?

I tried to understand how to use Project Data reading the help files but I don't really get it.

I assumed that Remoting and specifically Project Data could be used to control multiple machines in a network, running the same project but not necessarily the same scenes.

A simplified example for my goal would be this:
I have 2 machines running different VPRs exported from the same project.
Machine 1 shows a menu and machine 2 shows content.
I want to send the data about the menu state to machine 2, for example an integer of the last button ID that was pressed.

Usually I would simply use OSC nodes to transfer this data, but i came across this sentence:
Even if only one of the tasks is needed it might make sense to use Remoting instead of other types of communication (MIDI, OSC, Database, ...).
Problem is, I don't get how to use the code examples provided in the help files. I think they're meant to be used in an external application.

I tried to use Project Data for communication, however I'm only able to read data (can only connect the input property of a node to project data).
Changing Project Data is only possible by hand inside Designer or Director.
This works fine, but I need to change Project Data dynamically from a Ventuz Runtime.

Can someone explain if Remoting / Project Data was meant for this scenario, and if yes, how it should be used?

Greets,
schub

Karol

Re: Questions about Project Data / Remoting 4

Post by Karol » 17 Oct 2014, 16:26

Hi Schub,

Did you see the Remoting 4 examples here: http://forum.ventuz.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3407
If you wand to synchronize multiple scenes via Project Data you would have to use the Remoting 4 API from within a Script node - that's possible.
But you can also use OSC for simple synchronization tasks - this is absolutely OK.

Cheers
Karol

schub

Re: Questions about Project Data / Remoting 4

Post by schub » 27 Oct 2014, 14:52

Hi Karol,

thanks for the pointers, we got it working inside a C# script node.
However we realized that Remoting 4 is not the right tool for our application.
I was hoping to make the communication between different machines easier, but Remoting 4 has many functions than we don't use.

For now we'll stick with OSC for the simple tasks.

Greets
-Schub