Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Mapping content to cube faces

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

spikylaura

Mapping content to cube faces

Post by spikylaura » 10 Feb 2012, 13:14

I'm relatively inexperinced with Ventuz and would really appreciate some help.

I have several sets of content, all currently within one scene (lets call them A,B,C and D) that I want to apply to opposite faces of a Cube (side 1 and side 2) when the operator calls for them. So, for example, content A is visible on side 1, the user hits a key to call D next, the cube rotates 180 and D is on side 2. The user the calls for content B, the cube rotates 180, and B is on side 2.

I'm sure this is very straightforward when you know how, but I want to make sure i do it in the most efficient way. Any guidance gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Paul

Lukasz_stryjek

Re: Mapping content to cube faces

Post by Lukasz_stryjek » 10 Feb 2012, 19:15

I think it can be done easily by constructing the cube by hand from 6 planes with different texture on each. You can get different content vision by rendering 6 render targets and using them as textures.
As for cube rotation I think it can be done with value switch node.

If those nodes are new for you just hover your mouse over them in toolkit and hit F1. Then choose interactive example.

Good luck.

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 18 Feb 2012, 00:05

6 planes is definitely the easiest for this. As for the rotation... have a look at this tutorial in the help files:

http://www.ventuz.com/support/help/late ... Logic.html

that might be of help?

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 18 Feb 2012, 11:53

hi all

as a little carneval present...try this :-)

it is done without any keyframe animation and its using 6 planes! the big advantage is: it is working even if the animation is not completed!

so don't forget the power of a counter in combination with a damper!

greetz and helau

chriss
Attachments
cubeAnimation.vza
(788.69 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 18 Feb 2012, 12:14

.......do you like my carneval costume?

greetz

chriss

squiggle

Post by squiggle » 20 Feb 2012, 13:10

Hi Chriss, very nice, thanks.

I try to avoid keyframe-anims wherever possible, math-nodes mostly do a far better (and leaner) job(*). Added benefit: no unclear states.

If I may add a suggestion: use an Oscillator instead of a Damper (see attachment). The "wobbling" IMO gives you a much more organic and natural looking movement (that would be a total bitch to create with Keyframe-Anims). Only drawback: Osci-nodes are a bit harder to time, since the duration is not absolute but depends on frequency & damping... usually take some time to get it "just right".

squiggle

(*) I very often use a chain like this: Bool-Node (for the state) ---> Clipping-Node (translates 0/1 to the correct range) ---> Oscillator or Damper (for the transition/animation).
cubeAnimationOsci.vza
Chiss' example with Osci instead of Damper
(789.53 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 21 Feb 2012, 15:46

hi squiggle

yes...the osci instead of the damper is another option :-)

thx and greetz

chriss

spikylaura

Post by spikylaura » 27 Feb 2012, 12:26

Many thanks for all your replies - I didn't have reply notification turned on, hence the slow reply.

I should have been clearer in my original post - the cube I'm trying to map onto has rounded edges, so constructing it out of 6 rectangles is not an option. I have ended up creating a Case Switch for each side and a friend is writing a script to control what content is showing on which side, so hopefully problem solved.

Many thanks again

Paul