Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Output freezes when changing assets with Directory node

All other topics about Ventuz 5 here.

Moderator: Support

RCAndrus

Output freezes when changing assets with Directory node

Post by RCAndrus » 03 Apr 2017, 15:41

Having some issues with Directory node in Ventuz5. I'm using the directory node to cycle through a series of photos in order. When a new image file is loaded the Ventuz output freezes for a second or two and then it catches back up with itself. Its very noticeable to anyone viewing the projection screen that the program is not running correctly when it changes images. All of the images have been optimized and sized correctly for the project. I'm looking for solutions for how to avoid this freezing/jerking issues with the output but still be able to load and change assets without taking the projection screen to black.
Thanks,
Ryan

Dennis

Re: Output freezes when changing assets with Directory node

Post by Dennis » 04 Apr 2017, 11:29

Hello,

try to set it to ASYNC mode :)

regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

RCAndrus

Post by RCAndrus » 04 Apr 2017, 16:14

Hi thanks, Dennis. I tried doing a simple test using the Directory node in Async mode as well as setting the texture loader node to Async but it does not seem to have any effect. The scene still hangs while it is loading a new image. I get a huge spike in CPU usage every time it loads a new PNG image. The only way I can get it to load smooth is to have an incredibly small file/image size, such as 100px X 100px.
Ryan

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 05 Apr 2017, 10:09

Can you tell me the size of the images you try to load?
are the images uncompressed ?

all these settings would be very interesting :)

thanks
Dee

RCAndrus

Post by RCAndrus » 05 Apr 2017, 16:17

The size of the test scene I have made is 1920 X 1080. The size of the PNGs are 1920 X 1080, uncompressed, not interlaced and are about 8Mb each. They are cropped photos of landscapes. Every 3 seconds the directory loaded loads the next image. I have a mover node connected to a rectangle that slides back and forth so I can tell when the scene freezes. The GPU is running at about 10%-13%. The CPU is running at 30% but spikes to 50% or above when the new image loads. And the frame rate, that is set at 60, drops to about 45fps while the image is loading and right after it has loaded. I attached a snapshot of the scene.

We have ran this scene, or a similar test, on several of our Ventuz server machines that are quite powerful PCs and have had the same result. The resources available to the computer don't seem to have much, if any, effect on the performance of the directory loading a new image.

Thanks!
Ryan
Attachments
Ventuz_Dir_Loader_02.PNG

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 09 Apr 2017, 10:02

Hi,
try using Jpegs instead, or even DDS.
cheers.

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 10 Apr 2017, 08:12

Shure, that you have set your TextureLoader to async?

If the freezing depends on the size, it seems, that the textureLoader is causing the problem.

Attached the modified Ventuz Help Scene, where i set everything to async and it seems to work.

Greetings

Christian
Attachments
Directory_ck.vza
(219.21 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

RCAndrus

Post by RCAndrus » 10 Apr 2017, 16:12

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the Directory Loader test scene. You're scene works well when we load our own images into the scene. I have tried to recreate the scene you sent on one of our machines and have had the same result I was having before. The loader causes the render engine to stall. So what am I doing wrong? I have copied the settings of the nodes in the file you attached exactly into a new scene, Async on as many nodes as I can find, but I just can't get the scene to not freeze when a new image is loaded. Please see the attached VZA.

Thanks!
Ryan
Attachments
Directory Loader Test_02.vza
(18.57 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 11 Apr 2017, 09:02

It seems, that your texture loader is broken an doesn't recognize the Async flag.Is it maybe copied out of an old project?

I have replaced the texture loader and it works.

Greetings

Christian
Attachments
Directory Loader Test_02_ck.vza
(18.68 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

stephan

Post by stephan » 11 Apr 2017, 09:19

Supi Chris :D
the node was broken, I confirm the original node is working!
Greets, Stephan