Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Change DVI input specs on the fly

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Robert

Change DVI input specs on the fly

Post by Robert » 19 May 2014, 10:48

Hi,

Changing DVI input signal (DELTACAST DVI) specs on the fly make Ventuz freeze. How is it possible to do that without the freeze ?
Is there any settings to prevent renderer to be impacted by live feed changes ?

Regards,

R

joysprod

Re: Change DVI input specs on the fly

Post by joysprod » 19 May 2014, 13:33

We have also encountered this problem, without being able to find an internal solution in Ventuz. I think that when switching to different sources that are not synchronized, Ventuz renderer has to re-sync and we see this as a stall.

We use a Spyder 300 series under control of Ventuz to switch sources as required. (Expensive option! but we own many of them.) You must use a scaling switcher that gives a continuous output to Ventuz. A simple crash type switcher will not work. A scaling switcher does add 2 frames of delay, but usually not a problem as not really noticeable if showing PPT.

Peter

Robert

Post by Robert » 19 May 2014, 20:58

Thx, usually we use an Image Pro to avoid the signal lost but it's an additional cost, you are right. Maybe a software solution, could be welcome.

R

Dierk Ohlerich

Post by Dierk Ohlerich » 21 May 2014, 08:21

Hi Robert,

do I get this right? You switch the DVI Input, like mechanically, from one source to another, right? When you say Ventuz freezes, do you mean it stops working completely or do you mean it stops for a second or so, and then continues normally? I see how using an image pro solves the problem as that thing will always output a correct signal. Still we should be able to do without.
-- Dierk Ohlerich

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 02 Jun 2014, 19:39

Having played around with live DVI inputs again , I can confirm that Ventuz does not like having the DVI input removed, connected, or the resolution changed.

Depending on running in Presenter/Designer with Datapath or Deltacast, either a total freeze up, a render stall of a second or two, or an unrecoverable frame rate drop that lasts until the DVI is re-connected. Also depends if 'Synchronized' is set. I have found that I have to set it at all times, and on the Deltacast card set it to 'Speed' instead of 'Quality' otherwise I just cant get 60 fps with a medium complex scene all of the time.

And I'm now runninng the new AMD W9100 card. Amazing increase of processing power - have been running multiple Glare nodes where previously with a W8000 was more limited.

I take it that adding a live input - DVI or HD-SDI requires a large amount more more processing for Ventuz? Is this a bus bottleneck or a GPU bottleneck? I'm running a motherboard with PCI 3 capabilities but think that the DVI input is only PCI 2?

Anyone else having fun and games with live inputs or experience of Motherboard specs?

Peter