Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Touch Translation inertia approaches limit asymptotically?

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

crishoj

Touch Translation inertia approaches limit asymptotically?

Post by crishoj » 19 Nov 2012, 05:32

We would like to get continuous touch control over an animation. To this end, I have connected the X output of a Touch Translation node to an animation control node, and put limits on the X value to match the beginning and end of the animation state.

It works well, except for the fact that an inertia motion never reaches the maximum value completely, only asymptotically.
Specifically, I have MaxX of 10, but when I set the translation "in motion" (with inertia), the output only reaches 0.994415045.
If touch and drag all the way to the end, I get the maximum value. Just not with inertia.

Is this a known or intended behavior?

Without some script support, I can't see how I can reach the next animation state with inertia.

Daniel Willer

Re: Touch Translation inertia approaches limit asymptoticall

Post by Daniel Willer » 19 Nov 2012, 10:20

The Touch nodes have a kind of simple physic implemented called Behavior so when your Limits are active and set to MaxX = 1 for example and ApplyBehavior is enabled the Element bounces back from the limit.
As the output values are generated per frame it can happen that the value never reaches 1.
You can either use a clipping node to map a smaller range or a float expression.

Cherio!

crishoj

Post by crishoj » 19 Nov 2012, 13:16

Thank you for the update.

The "Limit Elasticity" is set to 0.000, so I don't expect any elasticity at all. Perhaps this is due to floating point precision? I would find it less surprising if 0.000 actually was interpreted as "no elasticity".

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 21 Nov 2012, 07:18

hi

try to deactivate the behavior!

greetz

christian