Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Baked Emissive Lights

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

Naggar

Baked Emissive Lights

Post by Naggar » 23 Jun 2020, 07:54

Hi people

Big request for the lighting system.
I see that most real-time softwares already have pretty amazing lighting systems available and it just feels unfair that it can be so easliy achived in those softwares while we have to spend a lot of time to fake these effects with multiple textures to get something that looks only half as good.
I was hoping that we could add some sort of baked lighting for emissive textures and lights. A suggestion could be to get these baked textures written to the textures folder upon baking similarly to Unity. Any other way would be great too but please see this image for reference:
EmissiveMaterial.png
thanks

u-double-u

Re: Baked Emissive Lights

Post by u-double-u » 23 Jun 2020, 09:17

it is highly recommended to not look at other systems...😬

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 25 Jun 2020, 10:43

u-double-u wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 09:17
it is highly recommended to not look at other systems...😬
what you mean with that?

Anyway.. you can use baked lights whenever you want. you would use your baked lights like from 3dsmax or cinema or maya in the "DiffuseLight slot".. therefore you can have your lightmaps combined with dynamic lights in ventuz.

When you look at unity and or unreal this is a COMPLETE DIFFERENT SYSTEM and will and can not work with ventuz in ANY way.
First we do and will not have SWARM. This technology is doing your lightcalculations and has to be redone every here and then when you change light. So this will not work with a realtime engine at all. If you want such a path... follow the 3dsmax, Maya, Cinema lightbaking process... you can achieve nearly the same results like in unreal (when it comes to prelit and precalculated lightmaps(in the end.. these are just lightmaps)).
simple_gallery.jpg
concrete_room.jpg
regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 27 Jun 2020, 10:34

Hey, I didnt mean to insult anyone especially not you people at Ventuz personally. I was being sarcastic. Maybe a little too much.
But I was, probably like many others, shocked with the latest demo of upcoming (whenever) Unreal 5.

Naggar

Post by Naggar » 28 Jun 2020, 11:04

Hi Dennis,

Yes I'm aware that this can be achieved with 3ds max etc., but we do often create emissive textures on a material node and randomize some alpha textures to make a nice effect. I love how easy it is to create these effects in Ventuz, and I personally dont have the skills to do them in other softwares. But what I meant for a request (for a future version of Ventuz) was in fact what you mentioned which is the Prelit and precalculated light maps. That is something i was hoping we could have instead of getting them from third party softwares where we have to re-export the mesh or rebake the textures from other softwares everytime we move a light or object in the scene.
I thought it wouldn't be so different from the render mode of Shadows on lights (Always / render once) where there is a "AutoRefresh" flag and a "RenderNow" Method.
And when I mention other 3D engines I obviously dont mean to insult my own bread and butter :D, instead I just want to suggest some development that may be of great help.

Thanks

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 29 Jun 2020, 10:16

My personal opinion: In fact we are even not at the ages of unreal4 ;)
When it comes to rendering we are some years behind, due to that we focus on creating features for the realtime data processing and so on.. therefore the quality or up to date rendering quality has been left behind.

we have soooooooooooo many things in the pipe and i wish we could really skip all things and move on to get an up to date rendering engine. for example: real PBR and aaaaaaaaall stuff i am used to from unreal ( iam skipping unity here since i personally focus on unreal).

Aside from that we have at least a lot of work arounds to get a very good result ! ... :)

BTT:

Yes, @naggar, i thought about such a feature as well.. a simple light baking procedure based on the same idea like the shadow maps (render once).
I had a talk with our dev about that a while ago... and i will check if that ticket exists or if we just "talked" about it :D

Thanks!
Dee

PS: No offence taken, dont worry :) we all know the up and downsides of the engines in general ;) i thought you found a good system we could adapt easy or implement or whatever :))

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 29 Jun 2020, 18:14

puh

Naggar

Post by Naggar » 30 Jun 2020, 17:15