Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Nvidia Surround Mode - Any experience?

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

SamTheSwede

Nvidia Surround Mode - Any experience?

Post by SamTheSwede » 27 Nov 2017, 14:44

Hey!

I'm trying to configure a GeForce 1080Ti in surround mode with two identical 4K capable monitors with not so great success.

The problem is that the screens are connected through a KVM system that can display 4K @ 30Hz per monitor however I really need 50hz and could go for 1920x1080 @50Hz per monitor, I can configure both monitors with that resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. However as soon as I span them (Surround mode is what Nvidia calls it) I cannot choose to create a 3840 x 1080 output at any frequency, the driver only allows me to use the full resolution of both monitors creating a 7680 x 2160 output.

Trying to create a custom doesen't help since that option is disabled when in Surround mode.

Anyone had any experience with consumer-grade cards and span-modes to give me some input?

All the best,

Sam

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Nvidia Surround Mode - Any experience?

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 28 Nov 2017, 09:18

Hi Sam!

That's a crappy situation. I don't have a solution but maybe a few points that can help.

Are you sure the KVM is outputting a proper EDID at 1080p50?
Can you hook up the video signals directly to the final output device and only use the keyboard and mouse part of the kvm? Avoid the KVM completely if possible.
The Geforce Titan cards offers the same Mosaic surround support as Quadro cards. If a Quadro would work, a Titan does as well.
Can you set up the configuration of 3840x1080 with just having only two regular 1080p monitos connected? If so, then what is the difference?
I always thought that nVidia Surround on consumer cards only supports exactly 3 displays. Apparenly they support 2-4 now? Is that correct? Titan and Quadro cards definitely support 2-4 outputs.

I hope some of this might help a bit. I hope you get it sorted out.
Chris

lerou

Post by lerou » 28 Nov 2017, 09:38

Christian Krix Schmidt wrote:I always thought that nVidia Surround on consumer cards only supports exactly 3 displays. Apparenly they support 2-4 now? Is that correct? Titan and Quadro cards definitely support 2-4 outputs.
Yes, they changed that a few years ago. Now if nVidia adds the possibility of using 6 outputs we can completely avoid using AMD in the future :mrgreen:

SamTheSwede

Post by SamTheSwede » 28 Nov 2017, 15:42

Ahh, thank you both for the input!

The KVM or some kind of extension is nessecary I'm afraid, the distances are two long if we don't use them. We're getting Another KVM that kan deliver 4K @50Hz by mid 2018 and that would solve Everything. I guess we'll have to force the KVMs EDID to 1920x1080 @50Hz somehow, It should be possible, but I don't know how. Calling helpdesk!

// Sam