Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

trim string bug?

Please report bugs in this group. We will maybe populate a list of known bugs with a possibly modified description at a later time.

Moderator: Support

u-double-u

trim string bug?

Post by u-double-u » 03 Jun 2018, 12:19

Hi,
I am experiencing a issue, when trying to tim a string from the start.
I feed it an absolute filename (derived from an array) like
D:\directory\moviedirectory\Example.mp4
and try to strip the directoryname fed into it as well from the start, hoping Example.mp4 would be left.
But the result is xample.mp4
It is stripping the first letter or number as well and has been like that in Ventuz5 as well.
Is it me again?
cheers.

Dennis

Re: trim string bug?

Post by Dennis » 04 Jun 2018, 10:44

It is you again, but i got trapped as well ;)

The StringTrim node works differntly than we both expect.
I would expect it will just trim ... remove the stuff i type into the "Start- EndChars" but instead of trimming our "exact" Start-EndChars it will just SEARCH for the Chars UNTIL it reaches a completely different result.

Well... its kinda a special node which is made for guys who are into programming and got this kind of logic.

What YOU and ME always wand is:
A String Expression node and use following Expression: System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(A)

Here you go, save it, its handy.. xD
RegArts
Dee

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 04 Jun 2018, 20:07

thank you once again,
unbelievable....

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 11 Jun 2018, 07:31

Wouldnt it make sense to request that „normal people“ functionality as a new feature then? Probalby easier than me becoming a programmer.

Eric_RD

Post by Eric_RD » 11 Jun 2018, 09:47

I think the string handling ist quite powerfull in .Net
And I think Ventuz shouldn't start messing around with the "basic .Net feature nodes".
If you have problems understanding some functionality (which of course everybody does when starting to program) you can just google it and within a second you get the result:

Code: Select all

"Removes all leading and trailing occurrences of a set of characters specified in an array from the current String object." [MSDN]
What I would wish for is a better description in the Ventuz Help sometimes... (overall i think the manual is very good)
But in this case

Code: Select all

"This node removes characters from the start and/or end of a text string." [Ventuz Manual]
may lead to misunderstandings.

Also more links to MSDN like in the description of the "Directory" node might be helpful ;)

regards, Eric

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 11 Jun 2018, 10:07

Thanks for your Feedback.
Will keep this in mind since it may be really misleading.. especially with the string operations...
I admit and i did already: i was trapped myself :D

regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 11 Jun 2018, 20:01

well, i wouldnt want existing functions to eb messed around with either. Maybe as an additional feature?
cheers