Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Depth Camera

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Naggar

Depth Camera

Post by Naggar » 16 Jul 2018, 10:41

Hello guys,

I was wondering what kind of texture the "Depth" output for live feed can get?
I have a Kinect connected to the PC and the Live video is showing. I installed the Kinect SDK as well, but the depth texture is just black, or not working.
Also i couldn't find anything in the documentation about the depth.

Thanks
Attachments
Depth_02.png
Depth_01.png

sribas

Re: Depth Camera

Post by sribas » 07 Feb 2019, 15:11

Hello Naggar, same problem for me ! If someone found a solution please..

pmunoz

Post by pmunoz » 22 Feb 2019, 07:05

Same here! Any solution?

stephen

Post by stephen » 26 Feb 2019, 11:57

Hi all,

the Depth Output on the Live Video Node is meant for Ventuz' VIO Interface only, that supports composing of a scene of another 3D Engine into Ventuz. There is a VIO Node in Ventuz 6 for that, but the user can write their own Shader using the Output Textures of the Live Video Node.

I guess the easiest way to get the Depth Image of the Kinect would be a Driver that creates a WMF Device from the Depth Image, that can then be used in the Live Video Node and you could composite that in your scene. I have no idea if something like that already exists.

Another way would be to use VIO - write a small application that implements the VIO interface and the Kinect SDK and passes the Color and Depth Images. An advantage of this approach would be that you could pass ancillary data like detected skeletons in a synchronous way. Unfortunately VIO needs a special license.

Also an approach is using Spout in Ventuz 6. Again you could write a small application that passes both Textures using Spout. In Ventuz 6 you have a Spout Input node that can receive these. Ancillary Data would have to be passed separately, but Spout needs no extra license.

Those are just some thoughts on how you could approach this. Surely there may be other approaches - in the end you need to pass Ventuz an external texture and some data. There is just no built-in way for doing this.

Hope this helps
Stephen