Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Clickable Multi-Screen Set-Up on mulitple Render-Mashines

All other topics about Ventuz 6 here.

Moderator: Support

nicknameminivan

Clickable Multi-Screen Set-Up on mulitple Render-Mashines

Post by nicknameminivan » 07 Oct 2021, 16:58

Hello dear Ventuzians,

We are planning an Installation for the next Trade Fair. It should have an exciting multiple Screens-Set-Up like this one from the last IAA but much bigger in Screen/Pixel Scale. We will go with LED-Walls and mounted Touch-Overlays for the Installation. So all of the LED-Screens should be interactive via Finger-touch.
The Content on the different Screens are completly different from each other. So it is not just one big Renderoutput over multiple Screens like you would see on a LED-Wall Virtual-Production-Set. But the Content is interactive connected with each other. So if I press the "Home-Button" on one Screen all Screen will go to "Home".

Im coming from a Unreal/VVVV Background and never had the pleasure to work with Ventuz (But I watched some Tutorials) because I hope Ventuz can help us with the technical difficulties we have on this Project.
I already had tested three Prototypes in VVVV and Unreal and I have some serios Problems:

The 3D-Renderer of VVVV is pretty weak and it is very timeconsuming to get High-End visual quality required for the Automotive Industry. But VVVV it is very straight forward to implement the interactivity for 3D-Objects on multimple Screens which are run by multiple Render-Mashines via VVVV-Boygrouping.

Unreal is the other side of VVVV. It is very fast to get High-End-Visuals but it is nearly impossible to make 3D-Objects interactive clickable on multple Screens run by multple Render-Mashines via Unreal-nDisplay. nDisplay outputs just one Content-Image from one Scene which is just so called "Rendertarget". This means it is just a Texture and you can't click the 3D Objects on the Texture because it is not the real "3D Scene with Objects" but just an updated Runtime-Texture.

Then I tried to do it with the Multiplayer-System of Unreal. There you can just start multiple Instances of the same Application and place the right Application in Fullscreen on the correct Screen. Which works really great and because it is a real 3D Viewport with "3D Scene with Objects" it is easy to make Objects clickable and interactive. But with the Multiplaye-System of Unreal comes a big lost in productivity. Because Unreal uses the Server-Client-Method to communicate between the different Clients you have always to code much more to make Objects update on the Server and the Clients. You have to replicate Variables and make RPC Events to the Server which is much cumbersome than with Boygrouping in VVVV.

So dear Ventuzians my Question is:
How would you do this in Ventuz? How can you do a multiple Screen-Set-Up which is interactive clickable and run by multiple Render-Mashines which shows different Content by still connected interactive together? Is Ventuz the best tool for this Project?

Best Regards Anton
Thank you for your answers :idea:

nicknameminivan

Re: Clickable Multi-Screen Set-Up on mulitple Render-Mashines

Post by nicknameminivan » 08 Oct 2021, 11:19

It should have an exciting multiple Screens-Set-Up like this one from the last IAA but much bigger in Screen/Pixel Scale.
Sorry I forgot to include the Video-Link to the Installation I mentionend when I started in the Forum-Thread, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnU8gk_jFg

lerou

Post by lerou » 14 Oct 2021, 07:43

Ventuz is great for buildung up multi-machine-setups. They're called clusters in the Ventuz world. A cluster usually shares the render setup (each machine rendering a part) and input. There are nodes to sync data across cluster machines and it's possible to get your scene into an exact frame sync.

It' best compared to Unreal's nView, it can't be compared to any game engine's multiplayer mode as in multiplayer you don't need such an exsact sync. You often times calculate everything on each machine and then compare it to the server's idea of the scene - adpoting your states to it. The reason is that there are too many values to sync them all the time (movements, physics, projectiles, ..)

One thing Ventuz is missing is the ability to use more than one touch input - like using several touch frames for different areas. You'd need to combine those TUIO signals with an external tool.

However, it sounds like you want to have different contents on those screens. That won't even require a cluster. You can sync things like data and events using OSC for instance. In that case, several machines can be used for those displays, each showing its own content and when a button is pressed, an event is sent using OSC to the other machines.

Then again, if you're using a common animated background, a cluster might be the better idea after all, as it makes syncing that animation easier.

You see, it depends on your use case. But pretty much all of the different approaches can be done with Ventuz.

Karol

Post by Karol » 14 Oct 2021, 09:33

Thank you rou for you answer.
I would like to share some links to the documentation so that you have some starting points:
Cluster:
https://www.ventuz.com/support/help/lat ... ml?itm=228
https://www.ventuz.com/support/help/lat ... ml?itm=246
Touch & Interaction:
https://www.ventuz.com/support/help/lat ... Touch.html
https://www.ventuz.com/support/help/lat ... nteraction

nicknameminivan

Post by nicknameminivan » 18 Oct 2021, 16:12

Heyhey, Thank you for your answers!

I will work through the links you posted to the end and answer then.
The Ventuz Dokumentation is really well writen!

Best Regars