Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Hardware setup for Ventuz system.

All other topics about Ventuz 6 here.

Moderator: Support

aster

Hardware setup for Ventuz system.

Post by aster » 16 Jun 2018, 18:39

Hello everyone!

I am a one man show/company that wants to make big things!
Coming from the VJ/real-time graphics/interactive stuff on one part, and the corporate event and post production market on the other it was a matter of time till i end up here ... Been lurking at the Ventuz forum and site since 2007 :)

So the plan is to make a system/s capable of synchronized playback for panoramic projections or/and massive LED walls.
From what i have read on the forums and my general experience in the field i made a small drawing of what i presume is needed to achieve my goal.
Ventuz Signal Flow.jpg
Obviously there are things that i am not really sure about how to make them so here i am with my questions.

1: Do i need to feed each video capture with a Genlock signal?
2: Do i need to feed each GPU synchronization card with a Genlock signal?
3: Do i need to feed the Video mixer for cameras and external computers with Genlock?
4: Do i actually need a Genlock Generator ?

5: How to deal with different resolutions on the Computer part of the system (Green stuff with laptops for presentators and so on)
Should i use a scaler and convert all to SDI? My aim is a minimum capture capability of 1080p60 but there is always that one that comes with a laptop with 1024x768 or some other computer resolution.

As stated above my goal is to build a system for buttery smooth playback and graphics (either generated or videos)
As per the drawing above SDI distribution is the easy part, but what bugs me the most is point N5

Lets talk hardware:
ASUS X99 WS with 10G ethernet
6 Core 40 Lane XEON @ 3.5GHz
1 SSD for OS
1 NVME SSD for content
Quadro P4000 with Quadro Sync II on each machine.
Still unsure of the capture cards but most likely will be BMD Quad channel SDI+ref and if they do not support 1080p60 i will need to add a second capture card for the green part of the diagram.

Second option is Workstation PCs form a reputable manufacturer... possibly a bit older in generation due to Intel`s terrible pricing and PCIe lanes policy.

Any input is greatly appreciated as i will need to budget this part of the hardware and then move on to the software purchasing.

Please bear in mind that i am a starting one man company and i am trying to make the best with sensible budget.... And so far its wildly expensive for my country but hey ... Who wants to live forever :D

Best regards and thank you in advance !

Dennis

Re: Hardware setup for Ventuz system.

Post by Dennis » 18 Jun 2018, 12:00

Hey,

so i have a bit of input for you ;) :

1: Do i need to feed each video capture with a Genlock signal?
No you do not need - will be fed into the Camera and Mixer already....
2: Do i need to feed each GPU synchronization card with a Genlock signal?
You do not need. IF Genlock - so called housesync - you would use the Genlock input on ONE of ALL cards (Quadsyncs). The Quadsyncs itself will distribute the sync to each other.
3: Do i need to feed the Video mixer for cameras and external computers with Genlock?
If you decide to go for a Genlock, yes in this case all your external equipment will get a Genlock. The exception here is the External Computers.. the HDMI/DI part which you marked Green.This can NOT be synced.. HDMI and DVI can not be synced at all....... which answers question 5 and your most heavily concern.
4: Do i actually need a Genlock Generator ?
I would suggest that if you are isomg SDI input. You reduce the tearing a lot and ensure the frames are in time. You can not sync DVI/HDMI inputs, everybody has to live with that "tearing" fx.. there is no way to sync that at all... maybe someone else has some magic handy ;)
5: How to deal with different resolutions on the Computer part of the system (Green stuff with laptops for presentators and so on)
Should i use a scaler and convert all to SDI? My aim is a minimum capture capability of 1080p60 but there is always that one that comes with a laptop with 1024x768 or some other computer resolution.
I answered that already with Q3&4 BUT:

you have two options:
the one is to use 2x Decklink mini recorder 4k (to have 1080p60!) - the one is used for SDI input and the other for HDMI input. SDI for your cams and HDMI for all the "green stuff". Using a Splitter and connect each machine to the Splitter.

or the way to go:

get an ImagePro-3G (first gen) (used and cheap) which handles ANY input and delivers you a rocksolid SDI output and get a Decklink Duo2 with just SDI inputs.

hope that helps a bit
regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

aster

Re: Hardware setup for Ventuz system.

Post by aster » 28 Aug 2018, 11:53

Hi Dennis,
and sorry for the delay. It is summer time, and a lot of things are happening.

Thank you for the input. I was thinking the same things but it is always good to have confirmation.
Meanwhile my gear arrived. I went for Lenovo P700, Quadro P4000+Sync cards and BM Decklink Duo 2.

It is testing time now and a whole new world of problems.

Best regards!