Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Graphic Cards - NVIDIA? ATI?

All other topics about Ventuz 6 here.

Moderator: Support

kaszubowski

Graphic Cards - NVIDIA? ATI?

Post by kaszubowski » 06 Jun 2018, 16:48

Hey guys,

i am searching for any experiences with ATI or NVIDIA graphic cards. For sure the performance of the machine ... processor, hard drive, ... is important too but let us focus on different graphic cards:

ATI Fire Pro W9100 32GB VRAM
NVIDIA P5000 or P6000

Which distributor (NVIDIA or ATI) is better for Ventuz? Which parameter is important for VR? Any other experiences?

Thanks!
Philipp

lerou

Re: Graphic Cards - NVIDIA? ATI?

Post by lerou » 07 Jun 2018, 13:27

nVidia.

Eric_RD

Post by Eric_RD » 13 Jun 2018, 09:34

If Budget is no Problem or you need more then 16GB VRAM: use nVidia P6000 or GV100
If not... well it higly depends on what you want to to with it
The AMD WX9100 has some nice features like 6 Display Outputs and might be cheaper ...
However the W9100 you mentioned is based on a chip from 2014 (although the 32GB version came out in 2017) so its certanly too old to be future proof and doesn't have the power of todays chips.

lerou

Post by lerou » 14 Jun 2018, 11:44

Basically the only reason to use an AMD are the 6 outputs. nVidia is alwas limited to 4. However AMDs cards are slow. For years we had the W9100 as the fastest card - and using that one with Ventuz 5 (effects, layers) was not a good idea. Only recently the WX9100 has been released. Now with AMDs stupid choice of name this sounds like a minor update - but it's not. It's the first AMD card in years that's actually fast. It's based on Vega. I've just got my hands on two of those cards and what can I say: they don't suck. But forget about the W without the X ;) In terms of compatiblity and problems with rendering issues I feel like nVidia is again the safer choice.

Oh, when it comes to frame sync they both suck. Both nVidia and AMD have trained apes as driver developers, which reflects in the driver's quality.

aster

Post by aster » 18 Jun 2018, 10:37

lerou wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 11:44
Oh, when it comes to frame sync they both suck. Both nVidia and AMD have trained apes as driver developers, which reflects in the driver's quality.

Care to ellaborate on that ?
As i am building a setup and prepearing to buy a metric ton of gear i`d love to hear suggestions about that part.
My aim is massive LED walls and projections. LED walls are specially of interest as i have had more than enough Sync problems with them.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 18 Jun 2018, 11:15

aster wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 10:37
lerou wrote:

As i am building a setup and prepearing to buy a metric ton of gear i`d love to hear suggestions about that part.
My aim is massive LED walls and projections. LED walls are specially of interest as i have had more than enough Sync problems with them.
From my personal experience the most time consuming part is to find the correct drivers version.. not all run buttersmooth from the start on, so you would need to have around 5-x versions of a driver handy.

Some report to have less issues with AMD others have less issues with NVidia..
But once it is setup and sync works well ... it stays like it.

This is my personal experience.

lets see what others may have :)

regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

aster

Post by aster » 18 Jun 2018, 11:27

Dennis wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 11:15
aster wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 10:37
lerou wrote:

From my personal experience the most time consuming part is to find the correct drivers version.. not all run buttersmooth from the start on, so you would need to have around 5-x versions of a driver handy.

Some report to have less issues with AMD others have less issues with NVidia..
But once it is setup and sync works well ... it stays like it.

This is my personal experience.

lets see what others may have :)

regArts
Dee

:ugeek:
As you seem proficient in the matter, if i may have a question for you?
Are he Quadro Outputs well synced to each other? Mosaic mode, and have you tested the normal GFOrce cards in surround mode if they are synced for LED walls?

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 18 Jun 2018, 12:03

Basically we do not support "normal gamer cards" and on top of that the standard geforce cards (which are using mosaic) can not be synced.
Only Professional Cards can be synced - Quadro+ / RadeonPro FirePro

aster

Post by aster » 18 Jun 2018, 12:10

Hi, and thanks for the replay.
With sync i meant between each output not between different video cards and machines.
I remember somewhere on the Nvidia site reading that in Surround mode even the gamer cards have synced outputs (still talking about same card outputs)
I know i need Quadros, and i will have them but for some applications I can find a lot of benefit (both price-wise and performance) In gaming hardware.
Also for small installs and so on.
As i wrote in my other post i am making my list of gear needed so i am looking at all angles.

P.S. the price of a single Quadro P4000 is 2 monthly salaries in my country ... just sayin

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 02 Jul 2018, 17:28

Consumer graphics cards with multiple outputs can be configured to create a virtual desktop which spans across multiple outputs, i.e. Eyefinity or nVidia Surround. If you set up your desktop as such, then Ventuz can use that setup as well and you can render across several outputs. Outputs are always synced. They behave as one canvas. But you will be limited in setup/layout configurations, refresh rates and other parts. As a general rule, simply set up your windows desktop across your output devices in the resolution/layout you want to achieve. and it needs to be ONE desktop, stretched across all outputs using Eyefinity or nVidia Surround. Simply activating multiple monitors is not enough.