Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

How to import GIS data

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Marshall WU

How to import GIS data

Post by Marshall WU » 17 May 2018, 02:38

I wonder if there is a way to import GIS data, like esri shp file or geojson data into Ventuz.

Also If there is a way to specify the coordinate system in Ventuz so I can use lat and lng info to display points?

I'm trying to create a scene for a whole city and display all the buildings elevated (I have the height data of each building) and dynamic moving points given their coordinates (lng and lat).

I searched internet but didn't find any relative posts :(

Anyone can help :?:

lerou

Re: How to import GIS data

Post by lerou » 17 May 2018, 09:05

longitude and latitude can simply be converted to angles and then be used to place a point on a sphere. However they are spheric coordinates, not planar. If you're zoomed in (showing only part of a city) the radius would be very large compared to the area you're seeing and you wouldn't really see the curvature any more. So no, Ventuz won't take those coordinates natively, but with a bit of 9th grade math you can easily set it up.

cheers,
rou

Marshall WU

Re: How to import GIS data

Post by Marshall WU » 05 Jun 2018, 12:16

lerou wrote:
17 May 2018, 09:05
longitude and latitude can simply be converted to angles and then be used to place a point on a sphere. However they are spheric coordinates, not planar. If you're zoomed in (showing only part of a city) the radius would be very large compared to the area you're seeing and you wouldn't really see the curvature any more. So no, Ventuz won't take those coordinates natively, but with a bit of 9th grade math you can easily set it up.

cheers,
rou
Thanks a lot!!! I will have a try!!!