Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Projector Calibration for Projection Mapping

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

joysprod

Projector Calibration for Projection Mapping

Post by joysprod » 21 Feb 2016, 21:29

How about a node that would allow virtual camera/projection placement in a 3D scene when using Ventuz when projection mapping?

Having seen a demo of the system used on Dataton Watchout 6 where cross-hairs are placed on the real world model which then automatically adjusts the camera node co-ordinates and field of view etc, I was wondering if a similar system could be developed with Ventuz? Outputs would then feed back to the camera node.

Having done some extensive Googling, I am no closer to seeing if this is possible. The closest i found was some code called Mapamok. https://github.com/YCAMInterlab/ProCamT ... -(English)

Regards

Peter

shermanpat

Re: Projector Calibration for Projection Mapping

Post by shermanpat » 18 May 2016, 17:54

There is a great tool in the D3 system that does projection simulation kind of like what you are saying. It would be a great tool to be added to Ventuz.

http://www.d3technologies.com/features/ ... simulation
Attachments
projector_simulation_overview.png
-Sherman
Meru Interactive

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 20 Sep 2016, 13:20

I have just come back from an event I was involved in that used a 3D set for the projection s teen. A third party projected using 4 projectors to project the content on the set and played back as a QuickTime video. It wasn't the best I have seen and I was somewhat frustrated as I know that Ventuz would of been more than capable of playing back the content - and much more.

What really frustrated me was the ease with which the third party mapped the virtual projector positions on the set - manipulating cross hairs onto the projected surface using cursor keys. As each point was moved into position, the image started to line up exactly with the realworld surface until finally all projectors were outputting exactly the set dimensions. Time: About 20 minutes.

This software was vvvv, using one of their inbuilt nodes. I know other software systems including Touch Designer, D3, Watchout and others all have similar capabilities. In my opinion, If Ventuz is serious about selling its capabilities as a Mapping tool it really needs to implement a solution that offers this quick way of mapping.

I have tried for hours within Ventuz to map even simple objects with a single projector, and there are just too many variables that can be adjusted to make this a simple process. Multiply that with a more complex model, multiple projectors with very wide lenses, and a client eager to see the 'finished' look, and to be honest I can't say I can offer the solution in Ventuz. I'm now having to look at Touch Designer as a Realtime solution or Watchout as a play out of pre rendered content. I really want to be able to do this in Ventuz - it seems to be almost there with Matrix nodes, camera nodes etc, but my knowledge just doesn't extend far enough to do this my self.

The world of projection is, and has changed so fast. 10 years ago everyone wanted widescreen presentations. Spyder, Encore, Watchout provided a solution. 3D projected sets is now the flavour of the month, but I feel that Ventuz will be left behind concentrating on other areas: VR, TV graphics, Virtual sets. So my plea to Ventuz, please put this on the roadmap. I'm sure that as a realtime delivery platform, this would open more doors to using your software. I'm getting too long in the tooth to learn another new system but Touch Designer is looking like a possible candidate.

Peter

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 20 Sep 2016, 13:22

Sorry this was meant to be in V5 Features!!

Peter

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 21 Sep 2016, 08:25

Hey Joysprod

your welcome, no problem that you posted it in V4.. i will link it to V5 as well.

YES, i have been discussing this topic a lot with our devs here. There are changes on the roadmap.
Personally i do some PM's as well and i have to agree in some points.

So lets see when this will happen.

Thank you for your support (in this case such things support ME when i try to get things boosted on the roadmap :P )

best regArts
Dee

:ugeek:

spikylaura

Post by spikylaura » 20 Jun 2017, 15:15

Can I add a plus one for this.

Thanks

Paul

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 20 Jun 2017, 16:12

+1
+1
I have been working on several mapping projects and boy, the other applications do put Ventuz to shame in that regard. Some sort of projection mapping setup tool and PreViz helper would be a great new feature indeed.

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 24 Jun 2017, 10:51

Well, some sixteen months have passed since my original post asking for a nice projection mapping 'tool'.

I definitely feel that Ventuz focus is not in this area, and I have just had another request from a client "Great Awards show last week, loved it all. Can we talk projection mapping for another project coming up? - Ventuz does do projection mapping doesn't it?"

My answer? "Well, yes and no. It depends on what you require" is not a good way forward for me, my client, or Ventuz!

Peter

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 29 Jun 2017, 10:40

Hi, have you tried the Cinema-Live-Link for that?
Cheers

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 30 Jun 2017, 11:06

I would be interested to see how the live link can help with projection mapping. So far I have not been overly impressed with the combination of Ventuz with C4D. I cannot modify the UV mapping within C4D to show within Ventuz. This makes it more than useless for me. I am using C4D R16 - but should it work ok?

Peter