Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Opening a video file without locking it

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Luke47921

Opening a video file without locking it

Post by Luke47921 » 11 Jan 2018, 16:14

I'm opening video files using the movie clip and movie frame nodes to create a texture. I'd like to be able to rename/delete my files while the presentation is running with the videos in use.

Is there any way to do this while using these nodes?

u-double-u

Re: Opening a video file without locking it

Post by u-double-u » 11 Jan 2018, 18:27

You might consider putting some nodes and logic in between the movieclip and the files. Like an Excel-Workbook or so. This way you can select different clips using Excel while running the show.
You should not try to delete/move a clip the moment it is being played.
cheers

Luke47921

Post by Luke47921 » 11 Jan 2018, 18:33

I'm not sure if that would work for me, because I'm using movie frame to make thumbnails of all my videos, as well as one movie clip for the main video, so they'll all be open, rather than one at a time.

u-double-u

Post by u-double-u » 12 Jan 2018, 09:23

Well, then why do you want to delete or rename the clips when having them open and on display thru "movieframe".
What I was thinking of was, you switch to an other clip using some logic and display that while deleting/renaming the original clip and then switch back to the new one. But you probably cannot delete what you want to display at the same time.
Is all that supposed to be done automatically? Or is someone sitting somewhere doing it?
cheers

Luke47921

Post by Luke47921 » 12 Jan 2018, 14:00

I often end up having to change/rename videos very last minute, and it's out of my control. I have a script that will turn on/off the movie frame containers depending on the number of videos within a specific folder, so I'd like to be able to delete them and make a container turn off accordingly.

In terms of the renaming, I also have a script that grabs the filenames of the videos within the folder and displays them, so being able to change the name of the video in the folder would change the name that is displayed in the presentation.

So it would be someone modifying the files manually outside of the presentation, and the presentation detecting the changes and updating itself automatically. Basically I just want to avoid having to close and reopen the presentation if I can.