Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Main scene communicating with childscene via scene port

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Alexander Vartzbed

Main scene communicating with childscene via scene port

Post by Alexander Vartzbed » 25 Aug 2015, 09:18

Hi,

Imagine if you will, I had a main scene with a menu that displayed 3x 3D objects, which is dynamically generated by loading scene ports, for each Geometry each of these scenes loaded though the scene port, have 5 more geometries in a switch,
  • Main Scene ->
    • Scene Port ->
      • Geometry Scene A ->
        • Switch ->
          • Geo0
            Geo1
            Geo2
            Geo3
            Geo4
    • Scene Port ->
      • Geometry Scene B ->
        • Switch ->
          • Geo0
            Geo1
            Geo2
            Geo3
            Geo4
    • Scene Port ->
      • Geometry Scene C ->
        • Switch ->
          • Geo0
            Geo1
            Geo2
            Geo3
            Geo4
Each of these Scene ports have an INT exposed, so that i can directly control it from the main scene. I however cannot bind these properties to anything in the main scene.

is there something I'm missing or is there something I can do to make this easier? a script that takes care of the communication between scenes? so that I could animate these in any way?

thanks for any answers,

-Alex

Götz_B

Re: Main scene communicating with childscene via scene port

Post by Götz_B » 26 Aug 2015, 10:18

Hi,

I already wrote to Alex, but I post it here for everybody who comes across this:

In order to make properties bindable across a Scene Port, you have to add the property to the interface of the scene port, so Ventuz has sth to connect to. Cause when you unload your scene, you would loose your property and your connection. When you add a property, you can unload the scene and the connections stays there - just like on interface containers.

Long story short:
Load the scene in the port and double click on the property name to add the property to the interface. You recognise that the small "expose rectangle" appears next to the property. Now you are able to bind it.

It also works when you load different scenes in the same port:
If you have a second (third...) scene with a matching exposed property, it connects to the same scene port property.
If you load other scenes that have other properties, they can connect to different properties while the other ones stay "empty".
Very useful for distributing values from a master scene in a dynamic project,