Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Finding dimensions of dynamic list

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

spikylaura

Finding dimensions of dynamic list

Post by spikylaura » 28 May 2015, 13:22

Hello,

I have a dynamic list of text items (sometimes 5 items, sometimes 45) that I want to scroll from bottom to top of the screen. Is there a way to find the dimensions of its' bounding box. I need to know when the list has gone off the top of the screen to trigger the next event.

Any suggestions or workarounds would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Paul

dondi

Re: Finding dimensions of dynamic list

Post by dondi » 28 May 2015, 14:55

Hey Paul,

Not sure if your text items are separate text boxes or a single text box. If they are contained within a single text box, set the bounding box to Dynamic. You can then use the output height to calculate speed and plug a mover into it and then fire off the next event when it scrolls off screen, etc. I've done this with my music player project for Album Reviews where the length of the review text can be anywhere from one line to couple of paragraphs; I use the length to vary the scroll speed based on the height of the text box.

If you are using multiple text items, you can set the height outputs of each text box into a MultiSwitch node and use the sum parameter to sum-up all the heights and then use that for scroll distance/speed, etc. Hope that helps. There are probably other ways to do this, but I have used the 2 examples above successfully.

Good Luck,
-- Dondi