Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

PC Bus Bandwidth

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

joysprod

PC Bus Bandwidth

Post by joysprod » 09 Jul 2014, 09:28

Not a specific V4 question, but was wondering if anyone knows how to calculate the required bandwidth of a PCi Bus with various input signals going through. I'm trying to determine if there is sufficient bandwidth available to use Ventuz on a job.

Assuming this is using latest PCI motherboard.

Video card is W9100 with a single 1080 output.

Input 1 on DVI: 1920x1080 coming from a PC game. I assume therefore its 60hz and 1080p
Inputs 2,3,4 on Deltacast HD-Sdi input card: Live cameras that could be 1080p or maybe only 1080i

is 1080i half the bandwidth of 1080p? Does processor speed factor into this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Dierk Ohlerich

Re: PC Bus Bandwidth

Post by Dierk Ohlerich » 10 Jul 2014, 09:11

1080i60 is half the bandwidth of 1080p60. Since it is SDI, it will be YUV 422. With the Deltacast board you can switch between "Quality" (10 bit) and "Speed" (8 bit). The DVI capture may be YUV 422 or RGB444, depending on the hardware used and the Quality / Speed setting.

If the live cameras are 1080i, no problem even in "quality" mode. If the live cameras are 1080p, that should work too, but depending on the used boards for both DVI and SDI I can't tell in advance how much time is left for processing. You will also need an output. GPU outputs are for free, but SDI output would add to the bandwidth problem.

The actual speed of the CPU is not so important for the SDI/DVI inputs. CPU speed is important for movie playback and complex Ventuz scenes. Memory speed is important for the data transfers.

Most important is that you have 16 PCIe Gen 3 lanes for the GPU and 4 PCIe Gen 2 lanes for each SDI/DVI board. When using one SDI and one DVI board, this will limit your CPU selection to socket 2011.

Having a fast GPU is always good because when there is a lot of SDI/DVI processing, time left for rendering might be limited.
-- Dierk Ohlerich