Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Workflow for designing with out access to dongle?

All other topics about Ventuz here.

Moderator: Support

shermanpat

Workflow for designing with out access to dongle?

Post by shermanpat » 03 Oct 2013, 20:40

Still pretty new to all things Ventuz, but a big road block for us is not being able to build on the road when one of us don't have the dongle around. We have one V3/V4 designer dongle and one V4 runtime. Most the time we have to build in PLE and then rebuild it when we get access to the dongle.

Might there be a way to do some form of copy paste or unlock a file that we could do our self?
I heard something about a way to share a dongle over a network?

Thanks for your info on this topic!
-Sherman
Meru Interactive

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Workflow for designing with out access to dongle?

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 03 Oct 2013, 21:48

While I totally understand your problem I think it is a bit odd that you would ask on the official company forum how to bypass the licensing. :) Alas, I don't know of any way, except if in a crunch, you could very nicely ask the Ventuz team if they could convert your scene from PLE to regular. Not something they normally do but if the proverbial shit hits the fan that might save your behind. But it's not a regular service.

shermanpat

Post by shermanpat » 03 Oct 2013, 22:17

I am sure we have all had the thought, and I am the type to put it out there. I also want to hear what they say on this topic. I by no means want to sound like I want to steal from them and the hard work they have put in by breaking any rules they have set. Part of my question here is a try and see if there is a proper way to work in this manner or know that this is just the way it is.

Our team is often all over the world on different projects and each need to each add their elements to a scene. So I would hope to just have a work flow that could allow us to share files and do the changes needed and get it back to the team on site doing a show that is going on at that time.

Edit License locked to only edit files saved from a master license?
-Sherman
Meru Interactive

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 04 Oct 2013, 10:40

There is a great solution to your problem! Buy a license for everyone that actually works with the software :) Then when they are on the road and need to change something, they can insert their handy dongle and make the changes without complex workarounds! Magic!

Despite my somewhat snarky answer, that is the gist of it. There is no intended workaround for using the PLE to generate commercially used content and there are no plans for us to make the licensing any different than it is right now, at least for the forseeable future.

Unless we suddenly decide to go all Autodesk/Adobe on you and introduce Ventuz CC, I don't think a network-based licensing is necessary. On the other hand, you can always look into VNC or streaming desktops.

davidkmiller

Post by davidkmiller » 05 Oct 2013, 01:48

Other software packages seem to do just fine with an online activate and deactivate feature. Personally I hate the fact that to edit my project it is reliant on me not losing an extremely $$ tiny little usb dongle that I am carrying in my pocket and as far as I can tell there is no quick recovery option if something happens to the dongle. When you are jumping on an airplane every few days this just seems like an unacceptable risk. I hope another solution is in the works.

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 06 Oct 2013, 21:07

Sure, for software that lives on one machine most of its life, that might be acceptable. Ventuz, however, is usually continuously being installed, shifted, and re-installed, often in hairy situations. A dongle, while it may seem impractical is FAR more suitable to such environments than an activation/deactivation procedure. You also may have noticed that with Ventuz 4, you can install a license to the machine, rather than a dongle. However, this will be a problem if you choose to buy a new machine or need to use a workstation on site. Or your laptop breaks while travelling (more likely than the dongle breaking, btw)

As someone who lives on airplanes and in hotels for a good part of my time, I understand. On the other hand, when the excrement hits the ventilator, we are usually able and willing to help out in emergencies.

So, as I said above, there are no plans in the foreseeable future to change our licensing system.

davidkmiller

Post by davidkmiller » 12 Oct 2013, 03:52

Very familiar with having to keep track of dongles, very familiar with needing to install multiple copies on multiple workstations, very familiar with internet activated vs dongle activated software.

Not really what my very constructive criticism was pointing out.

I have had luggage lost at airports...i have lost things out of my pockets...i have had computers/laptop stolen right off of gigs. $*** happens....Carrying a little tiny dongle that is worth more then a car and that an entire production or project relies upon to succeed is a big risk and I hope that ventuz in the future can follow the lead of some other companies that have offered some alternative methods of licensing that is a bit safer for us the end user.

I am glad to hear that ventuz has some contingency plans in place to help address this in the event one of its customers experiences a lost or damaged dongle