Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

jerky 3d animation?

Please report bugs in this group. We will maybe populate a list of known bugs with a possibly modified description at a later time.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

jerky 3d animation?

Post by gabrielefx » 05 May 2013, 12:05

Hi,
I'm studying the PLE version and I run Ventuz on a 2560x1440 desktop driven by a GTX Titan. The Samsung monitor is connected through a dvi cable.
My system has 4 GTX Titans (not in sli) because I use them for gpu rendering.
Also the system has 2 octacores Xeons and 32GB.
The mainboard is an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.
At boot I did set the EVGA Precision X 4.01 that shows temperatures and memory on the Logitech keyboard lcd.
When I go full screen and I add a simple mover (0-360°) linked to an object, I notice that there are dropped 3d frames. The looped animation is not smooth and continuous.
On my old laptop Ventuz (3.07) runs really smooth and has an old GT540M....

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: jerky 3d animation?

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 05 May 2013, 12:24

The obvious question first. In the Project Properties under Direct3D. In the Fullscren tab is "virtual Fullscreen" selected? If it is, deselect it and Ventuz will render in exclusive fullscreen mode. This is the mode you have to play back your scenes in. The virtual mode is only there for easier development and does not provide a stable frame rate and performance.

Do you have any other software running in the background that uses your GPUs?

Could you check if Ventuz is rendering on the right output? With four GPUs that might be the issue. You are rendering on the wrong "device" and the output gets rerouted to another output. Well, that's the stupid version of the explanation. I am not really good at that but I had a similar problem once. Check the Direct3D settings again but this time in the "Advanced" tab and check the Adapter pulldown menu. It should be set to automatic. But with your setup that might not be working. How many Adapters are listed there? Try selecting one manually.

Are you only using one monitor? Are the other GPUs in any way connected to the main GPU that is connected to the monitor?

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 05 May 2013, 12:41

thank you! I will check now everything.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 05 May 2013, 14:52

Hi Christian
I did all the necessary tests with no luck
It's strange that Ventuz sees only 4096Mb of vram. Titans have 6GB
I grabbed two print screens
At full screen sometime the performance bar is red
I think that my system is too much complex or Nvidia driver aren't optimized or Ventuz doesn't like Titan board.
I don't worry about performance because If I will buy Ventuz I will assemble a simple machine with the Ati card, I read in the forum that Ati gpus work better.

Regards
Attachments
print_screen_2560x1440.jpg
print_screen2_2560x1440.jpg

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 05 May 2013, 15:02

See, that is funny, I consider nVidia cards to be superior and only use nVidia cards in my projects. :)

The performance info/bar in Ventuz3 is no longer up to date. They changed all that with Ventuz4. The statistics are showing all available RAM in Ventuz4.

Your scene is so incredibly simple that there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe it is actually too little and the nVidia cards are not doing enough. I think a few years back there was such a case when the card was not performing well because it had too little to do. Not sure anymore. What happens if you add objects. Or simply add a spreader in front of the obj and duplicate it a few times.

By the way, you seem to be evaluating Ventuz3. But sadly at the very end of its life cycle. Ventuz4 is coming out very, very soon and has a lot of changes, both visually and internally. You seem to want something very specific and can't decide to use Ventuz or not. I don't know why you just not simply use it because it does work as advertised but in any case I would wait for Ventuz4 and then do you tests. The software has undergone some major improvements and enhancements and if you wait until the end of the Ventuz4 lifecycle to test it you will truly miss out on something.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 06 May 2013, 09:03

the same scene runs without dropped frames on my old laptop.
We will see how Ventuz 4 will perform with the latest Nvidia gpus.
I will test some Ventuz scene on these systems I own:
quad GTX 580
quad GTX 680

I understand that Ventuz doesn't use 3d surround technology, then we can't utilize all the gpus.
The Titan has 4 outputs and I can Immagine I can plug 4 hd panels but the performances are divided by 4
Would be nice if Ventuz use all the system's gpus to balance the power.

Also I imagine that we need the 64bit version to use all the 6GB vram.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 06 May 2013, 11:24

If you have problems with your scene on your mega workstation than it does not matter if you use Ventuz3 or Ventuz4. You seem to have a serious configuration issues because your test scene has to run flawlessly on that system. As you said, if you laptop can run it then it shouldn't be a problem for you big system. I could imagine that the new Titan drivers are maybe the issue. Testing Ventuz3 on your Quad 680 system is a good idea. That should eliminate that possibility. If it works on that system then it is your Titan configuration that has the problem.

Actually Ventuz works with nVidia 3D Surround technology. I sometimes use Triple output setups for smaller projects and I even made two projects with 3D surround triple output. That definitely works. But only from one card. The problem is that nVidia would need to support Ventuz and not the other way around. But I set up Ventuz on a SLI system a few years ago and even though the performance was crap i am sure that is better today. But for proper application support and more professional features you have to go with Quadro cards. For example when using nVidia Mosaic on Quadro cards you can split Ventuz across several outputs from one card in many other configurations or combine it across several cards in one or more systems. But I would go with Ventuz4 for that. From what I have been told these things work much better with Ventuz4. As for the Titan. Sadly it is not classified as a professional card but a gamer card instead. Therefore the Quadro drivers and all their features are not available. So whether Multi-GPU rendering works on those or what the performance is remains to be seen. But I doubt Quad SLI will make any sense. Most games already have problems with Quad SLI and their SLI profiles are heavily optimized by nVidia. So I am not sure what to expect there.

As for 64bit version. That is the only version you should use anyway. Without it Ventuz cannot be used to its full potential.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 07 May 2013, 19:14

Good to know that Surround works.
I don't think I will never create complex scenes that need 3 displays.
Regarding the gpu I would like to know if Ventuz player is ok with Intel NUC and the Intel 4000 gpu.

Today I was studying VentuzIntroduction.vza...it's a 7 years old file....but I think that today you would program this scene differently.
On my old laptop was really difficult to have a smooth play...now this scene it's blazing fast...:)

Regards

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 07 May 2013, 20:41

Ventuz runs without any problems on HD4000. I did a few demos and even projects on it. The performance is obviously not as good as a dedicated card but still, you can use it. The biggest performance drops are with AntiAliasing and lots of Alpha Blending.

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 08 May 2013, 13:35

Hey,

just a few words to add on this:

Titan is (though the most powerful card) currently not technically a professional card. A lot of things in the nVidia Quadro drivers behave very differently than the Geforce drivers. Any sort of Mosaic, for example, or cross card multi-screen will not work. Ventuz requires the Quadro drivers for that.

SLI is a terrible thing for what we do, the multi-screen multi-GPU over Mosaic is a different matter. nVidia has implemented a new system for that and it looks like it might work for Ventuz - we are currently trying it out with K5000s. (so 4 outputs per card, multiple cards)

As to performance statistics, Ventuz 3 relies on Windows to report some of its usage statistics, and because of the weird way Windwos reports, it only sees a portion of the available RAM, both system and GPU. This is not true (on 64bit) for the actual resources available and used, it is only the way it is reported. So while for example you may only see 1.6GB of system memory, even though you have 16, you are still able to use the full 16. This is fixed in Ventuz 4.

Why your card is performing poorly - good question. No clue, send me one of your Titans and I will be happy to do some extensive testing (maybe even try some Ventuz testing, too)! ;)

We don't test the consumer cards, either AMD or nVidia, but when the K6000 comes out towards the end of the year (the professional version of Titan), we will try to test that.