Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Texture update with low priority

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Kobbi

Texture update with low priority

Post by Kobbi » 16 Sep 2014, 09:14

Hi guys,
i'm working on a touch-app that has few instances of the same subapplication (each user has his own app and max number of users is limited and could be even only four ). Problem is that there is relatively hudge amount of data to be shown - all national parks in Europe with text info and picture gallery of course:) So i've made a simple client with touch menu to go thru Europe to each country and it's national park. It updates all information needed as you go thru menu BUT during load of new set of images into a picture slider whole Ventuz scene freezes for few moments.
I new it will be a problem since our client first mentioned multiuser "upgrade" of my proposed and presented app. And here we are:) Is there a way to update (reload) textures with lower priority so it takes longer and scene does not freeze? I can handle a delay, leave slider unvisible, do "loading animation" whatever but I need all the other instances to work.

Unfortunately there is no way to prepare full application with no dynamic resource changes since there is about 450 national parks and each has about 5-20 photos for four or six users... It would be insane and would crash on memory and complexity of scene:(

Best regards and thanks for help,
Kobbi

Kobbi

Re: Texture update with low priority

Post by Kobbi » 16 Sep 2014, 09:18

I've used V3 forum, but it applies to V4 as well. We'll buy new presenter licenses for this instalation anyway:)

Karol

Post by Karol » 17 Sep 2014, 12:49

Hi Kobbi!

Are you using the Image Loader Advanced (in V4 renamed to Texture Loader)? This node is capable of loading images and textures asynchronously without stalling Ventuz significantly.
It's further advantage is that it does not use that much memory compared to an ImageLoader+ImageToTexture combination.

Best Regards
Karol

Kobbi

Post by Kobbi » 18 Sep 2014, 12:42

Hi Karol,
I was using a Image Loader Advanced but without ASync checked. It helped a lot.
Thanks a lot for you for your reply.

Best regards,
Kobbi