Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

control via touctable

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

alfred

control via touctable

Post by alfred » 28 Mar 2013, 04:24

I plan to control the display wall via touchtable, the layout on the dw and touchtable is different, how to set up the layout running on touchtable. BTW, touchtable is a Window-based system. Who can tell me where does this topic occur in the turtoial?

thx
alfred

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: control via touctable

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 28 Mar 2013, 06:38

This is not a Ventuz problem but a Graphics card, Windows setup and touchscreen driver issue. Why would you think that a very specific technical problem like that has to be in the Ventuz tutorials? That's pretty unrealistic.

Here are a few ideas. Do you have to run it from one machine? If so then the graphics output setup can be tricky. The touchscreen driver also needs to work on only one output. If that isn't supported by the driver then you need either two machines or identical video signals on both the display wall and your touch panel from one machine in a clone mode. If the touchscreen driver supports limiting to one output in a multi-output setup, only the graphics card setup should be the last problem. Ventuz (and all applications running in exclusive fullscreen mode) require one output. So two seperate outputs in Windows (identified as two seperate monitors) does not work. The solution is different for nVidia and AMD cards. You have to refer to their tutorials and manuals for multi-screen setups and what setups they actually support. That differs greatly from card to card and even driver generation to driver generation.

alfred

Post by alfred » 28 Mar 2013, 10:56

Hi Christian,
Thanks for your reply, but there is still some issues confusing me. 1)what is the meaning of "touchscreen driver"? 2)as I know,if the video signals on video walls and touchscreen are just the same, one machine is enough, and I can control the content on displlay wall via touchscreen. But if the video signals are different, must I need two machines? If yes, what kind of protocol does it need between the two machines? The touchsceen can be windows-based, i.e, surface or some other tablet pc.

thx
alfred

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 28 Mar 2013, 12:33

Well if you have two different output signals out of your workstation the touchscreen driver, that is the driver that makes the touch functionality work on your machine, needs to be able to be limited to only half of your desktop. The driver allows you to change touch behavior and settings on a device level. Ventuz is not even involved in that yet.

You are correct, if both signals - on the touch device and on the wall - are the same it can run on one machine. That would be the easiest setup. If that is not the case you have two options. Use one machine with multi-output support or use two different machines. If you have two different machines and both run Ventuz you have to use OSC network communication to control the wall workstation from the touch system. Use the OSC output nodes on the touch system to send OSC messages and use the OSC input nodes to receive messages. If you are only using Events to trigger animations this communication is quite easy and straight-forward.

However if you have a chance to use the same signal for both screens I would go for it in your case. Anything else makes the setup more complicated, more expensive and you need more time to set it up. I could be wrong of course but it does not sound as if you did these setups very often so I would try to make it as simple as possible.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 28 Mar 2013, 12:36

I would only use a tablet if you absolutely have to. The performance on tablets is not very good. And be careful not to get a Windows RT tablet. You need a full Windows 8 on the tablet. And get one with an Intel I3 or I5 processor like the Surface Pro. The Intel Atom processors are too slow to do anything meaningful. That said, you can still do nice stuff on a tablet. And that should work very well and easy if it has a HDMI or Display Port output to send the signal to you display wall.

alfred

Post by alfred » 28 Mar 2013, 14:09

Hi Christian,
I am very appreciate your detailed feedback. If the signals of two sides are different, I prefer to use two machines, one output to wall, and the other is for touch table. I think this solution is more clear and simple :D

alfred