Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Recursive Node bindings without Loop Breaker node

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

metal_head_82

Recursive Node bindings without Loop Breaker node

Post by metal_head_82 » 08 Sep 2012, 16:23

Hey folks,

I'm getting a headache - I'm trying to figure out a way to use the result of a calculation as validation for entered values...
Sounds a little strange, so here's the explanation:

I'm working on a scene which displays some Bars to display the number of in stock items.
The values for those bars come from an Excel sheet which is edited by a user in the background. As soon as the user saves the Excel sheet all values are properly updated and the bars show the correct value.

So here's the problem: No matter what value is entered in the Excel sheet - the presentation should only accept values which are LOWER than the last entered value.
The only way to do this is to use the last displayed value as base for a comparism. Ventuz won't let me do that. I can't use the Loop Breaker Node because we are using Ventuz Touch (Upgrade to PRO is not an option at this point of the project). Is there any way to achieve this? I tried to use a counter but always ended up using the resulting value as base for comparism.

I'm pretty new to Ventuz but until now everything worked out well and the software is pretty intuitive once you understand how it works...

Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Hendrik

metal_head_82

Re: Recursive Node bindings without Loop Breaker node

Post by metal_head_82 » 10 Sep 2012, 12:24

Hello Lenard,

thanks for the reply. Sounds pretty interesting.
In the meantime I found another way wich is more convinient to me.
I use a value switch with the second value left empty. The first one gets its Value from the Excel sheet. The I use a counter to set the output case. The counter is reset on scene activation with a Scene Event.
Everytime the Counter cycles through its range, the output is set to Value00 and afterwards to Value01 which is empty - thus holding the last value.
The I use an Expression to check if the value from the Excel sheet is smaller than the one, which came from the switch.
If it is smaller it is passed to a damper and as soon as it has reached the new target value it starts the counter (autorun) and the new value is constantly at the output of the switch.

It's clearly an abuse of the value switch but it works pretty well and is simple as hell... AND it's not recursive at all ;)

Cheers
Hendrik