Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Renderer Statistics show 1380mb limit in 64bit Ventuz

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

vertigo

Renderer Statistics show 1380mb limit in 64bit Ventuz

Post by vertigo » 17 May 2012, 15:34

Hi there,

because we have to build a massive Powerpoint-like Ventuz-Presentation with lots of images, text-nodes and small videos we switched to the Ventuz 3 x64 edition to be able to access more of the available 12 gb RAM instead of the 1380 mb limit in the 32bit version. Also the operating system is Windows 7 64bit.

But while developing the presentation I clicked on the Statistics button in the renderer window, just to find out that in the topmost bar "Sys" there are already 1308 of 1380 mb taken. This seems rather confusing because I thought using the 64bit version lets Ventuz adress more than 1380 mb, with the downside of not being able to have the Quicktime and Webbrowser nodes.

Have I done something wrong? Ventuz shows me I'm using "V3.06.02 x64", the computer's control panel says "64-bit Operating System", but do I have to configure something else to use more than 1,4 gb RAM?
Or are the Renderer Statitistics to be ignored to some point?

Thank you all for your help,
Kind regards,
Christof

PS: To reduce resources needed I already converted most of the images in dds-textures, but I haven't finished creating half of the total presentation. Looking into the Scene Statistics one could see that most of the resources until now are taken by the TextFont System creating the Extruded 3D Fonts, something that I cannot easily change without destroying the look and feel of the Ventuz project.

Karol

Re: Renderer Statistics show 1380mb limit in 64bit Ventuz

Post by Karol » 18 May 2012, 09:08

Hi Christof!

No Panic! You are save on the x64 side. The value of 1380 MB is unfortunately provided by the .Net Framework and is definitely not correct for x64 applications. We will try to find a way to display the correct numbers for Ventuz 4.
On x64 you are virtually only limited by your physical memory. As a rule of thumb I would say: take 2 GB for the OS and the rest is for you application.

Btw. using DDS textures is always a good idea because this does not only reduce memory footprint but also improves the start-time of a Ventuz presentation.

Best Regards
Karol

vertigo

Re: Renderer Statistics show 1380mb limit in 64bit Ventuz

Post by vertigo » 18 May 2012, 15:05

Thanks a lot Karol for your quick and helpful response.
Now I can sleep well dreaming of 64bit magic memory land ;)

I have been using DDS since the last years because it seemed to reduce the memory footprint to a quarter of the value by the normal image loader, but is has always been a pain that you have to stretch the pictures to fit the power of 2 rule. Afraid of switching to Ventuz3 or x64 because of the lack of the quicktime node and possible downwards compatibility issues (to everyone: there are none, go with Ventuz3 and use all of your old projects) memory management has been a concern ever since. The real memory consumer always seemed to be videos, because I don't really see how to correctly use the cueing feature of the video loader when working with video nodes in a single slide of the slidemanager. Maybe you have an idea for loading and releasing video space in a slidemanager setting, too?

Anyway, thanks again!
Cheers,
Christof