Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

anyone with 3ds max?

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

anyone with 3ds max?

Post by gabrielefx » 03 May 2012, 08:30

Hi All,

in these days I'm trying to understand if Ventuz is ok for me.

I noticed that all Ventuz users use XSI or Maya that use the ZXY coordinate system.

Unfortunately I don't know how to export from 3ds Max this type of spatial configuration, I tried every type of configuration, rotating all the scene, rotating axes, changing the xyz rotating axis in zxy. I tried to use the Collada and the Autodesk collada exporters. Only the Autodesk collada exporter permits to assing the y up axes but this configuration doesn't influence the camera.

In Ventuz I need to have all my Max scene and cameras with Y up axes.

How can I do that?

Regards

gabrielefx

Re: anyone with 3ds max?

Post by gabrielefx » 03 May 2012, 18:52

Ok...
When I will purchase Ventuz Pro I hope you will give to me some tips.

In the meanwhile I found that exporting 3ds Max animated scenes in Ventuz is a nightmare.

The only way is to export the Max scene in Maya via the FBX exporter.

Then from Maya you have to export using the same FBX-DAE (collada) exporter.

In Ventuz you will get the right animated scene.

I think that you should add an option to convert Z up vector to Y because if a 3ds Max user wants to export some animated scenes in Ventuz he has to buy Maya too.

Regards

Karol

Post by Karol » 04 May 2012, 09:58

Hi!

You are right! The whole Export-Import topic is a nightmare. I implemented the most parts of the 3D format importers in Ventuz.
Even if you use a well defined exchange format like Collada it's really a pain...
Every exporter has it's own quirks. And every developer tends to interpret the specs slightly different or even incorrect - most probably us included.
But there are some facts we cannot change that easily:
- Ventuz uses a left-handed coordinate system with Y-axis up whereas most DCC tools use right-handed coordinate system -> this causes trouble during import!
- the Animation Editor in Ventuz can only handle Constant, Linear and Bezier curves -> we cannot import other types of curves!
- Ventuz has its own, pretty powerful Animation and State Engine -> it has never been our intension to be a perfect realtime player for 3D content created in other tools.

What do you want to achieve in Ventuz exactly?
Did you try other exporter plugins like OpenCollada or ColladaMax?
Can you post a small export that makes problems in Ventuz!?

Best Regards
Karol

pyrrr

Post by pyrrr » 07 Jun 2012, 21:23

hey,

i don't know but my workaround to import complex animation in ventuz is to bake them with cappuchino (c4d) (pos scale rot). the only problem is that you can't export such things like walkcycles or mesh deforming like PLE keyframes.

collada 1.4 works fine for me. sometimes you have to check your normal direction too. i got some serious errors with other formats and collada versions.

maybe this little max script can help you :

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip ... -animation