Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Lenovo horizon

All other topics about Ventuz here.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

Lenovo horizon

Post by gabrielefx » 05 Jun 2013, 10:49

what do you think about this?

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops/i ... orizon-27/

joysticks and strikers will work with Ventuz?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Lenovo horizon

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 05 Jun 2013, 11:46

You won't have fun with this device. Technically its Windows 8 underneath so it will work as a touch device immediately. The joysticks are most probably using standard Windows DirectInput and as such as automatically supported by Ventuz as well. Just use the Joystick node. But the big issue is performance. The table only has an Core i3 and a GeForce 620 graphics card. While this will be OK for simple 2D stuff, the performance is pretty much shit for anything 3D. You will have to heavily optimize and adjust your designs and animations to make any decent stuff. You can work with it, but you won't have a lot of fun. The biggest problems and restrictions with these low-end cards are the crappy alpha blending performance and any kind of AntiAliasing pretty much slows everything down to 1fps. So tailor your Ventuz scenes to mostly 2D elements, avoid too many transparent blendings and 3D meshes.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 06 Jun 2013, 08:13

thank you,
I would like to buy 2 Ventuz dedicated machines:
the first one a rack version to carry with the heavy touch screen display and use it to show the final result.
the second one, a tablet, to develop the presentations everywhere I stay.

I already have a laptop with the same Horizon hw config. It's slow for Ventuz presentations.

I would like to know what's the best choice for Ventuz: AMD or Nvidia?
I know that Titan is the fastes gpu on the market but reading in the forum I noticed that you prefer Ati, has less problems.

Is this valid for laptop/tablet too?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 06 Jun 2013, 19:20

Its funny. My company only uses nVidia. We do a lot of cluster setups and nVidia is the more professional and reliable solution. We did a lot of tests with AMD but their cards have two major problems. First, they do not support/work with proper EDIDs. Yes, you could use third party software to force EDIDs but that is in my opinion simply not acceptable. One needs proper stable signal support for professional applications. But then again, we need this because we have synchronized environments with TV cameras recording shows as well. Second, the performance of AMD cards is not stable. In our tests we had huge performance break ins. The same scene would run iwth 60fps one moment and the next it would run with 30 fps. This inconsistent behavior is also a huge problem for us. But AMD has the FIreGL series with up to 6 ouputs and thats why a lot of Ventuz users use it. We use the nVidia GSync board a lot and that is working much better than the AMD version as well. At least when we tested it. So personally I would always stick with nVidia. All the multi-ouput advantages AMD has will apparently be gone with Ventuz4. So I am happy to stick with nVidia. But I would also be interested to know if other people have had different experiences. As for laptops, I had nVidia powered laptops before but my current laptop is a Lenovo Yoga with a Intel HD4000 chip. It is really slow but works. The best advantage is that is has a 10-multitouch display and works flawlessly with Ventuz. So I am happy with it. If you want a mobile powerhouse I would have a look at the new Razor laptop. Superthin, stylish and insanely powerful. It has a new nVidia chip.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 06 Jun 2013, 20:16

All the multi-ouput advantages AMD has will apparently be gone with Ventuz4.
Can you give us a little bit more?
Thx!

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 07 Jun 2013, 03:39

Sorry what I meant was that nVidia cards can do it too so AMD has no more anvantages.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 07 Jun 2013, 18:29

4, 5 or six Outputs in exclusive fullscreenmode?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 08 Jun 2013, 06:33

4 with one Quadro. Put two Quadros in a system you get 8, put three Quadros in a system you get 12.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » 08 Jun 2013, 08:57

Thanks Christian,
so what you want to tell me is: V4 can handle up more than one GPU?
So in the near future we can use 2, or 3 cards in one Mainboard?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 08 Jun 2013, 09:50

I cannot confirm or deny that since I am not working for Ventuz but last time I spoke with them that is being worked on and coming. The goal is to have more outputs out of one machine. If that works with AMD? - i don't know. I wouldn't recommend AMD when it comes to multiGPU - especially their frame time variance are really bad. I am pretty sure that multi GPU support only works well with Quadro cards. You need to sync those cards properly and that's where the GSync board from nVidia comes in. Just check the Quadro pages on the nVIdia site and look up their technology Mosaic which is used for multi GPU multi output configurations to find out more.