Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Texture Loader vs Image Loader

All other topics about Ventuz here.

Moderator: Support

schub

Texture Loader vs Image Loader

Post by schub » 31 Oct 2013, 12:49

Hey,

I was wondering which Loader I should use for Textures stored in .png or .jpg fromat.
In Ventuz 3 we had the Advanced Image Loader, when opening an old scene in Ventuz 4 these would be converted to Texture Loaders.

A scene with an 8k .jpg Texture was running smoothly in Ventuz 3 on a 4k monitor, same scene in Ventuz 4 showed heavy stuttering with no evidence of a cause from the live statistics.
Replacing the Texture Loader with the Image Loader + Img-to-Texture solved the problem, 60 fps on 4k resolution, no problem.

I understand the difference between Images and .dds textures, with .dds being GPU compatible without conversion.
But since the Texture Loader can process every other common image file format too, why do we still have the old Image Loader?

Greets
Schub

Karol

Re: Texture Loader vs Image Loader

Post by Karol » 31 Oct 2013, 14:25

Hmm...!?

No problems here!
The Texture Loader is nothing else than the V3 Image Loader Advanced - so far so good!
Generally images always have to be converted to the DirectX Texture format; thats why an Image Loader always needs an Image To Texture node.
What are your settings on the Texture node?
Which graphics board do you have? Set the ResizeWidth/Height properties explicitly to 8192! Does this change anything?

Best Regards
Karol

schub

Re: Texture Loader vs Image Loader

Post by schub » 31 Oct 2013, 17:56

It was a rented Workstation with an AMD FirePro V7900 if I recall correctly.
For Texture node settings we always use 'Auto' Height/Width, does this setting affect the actual texture size which is loaded onto GPU memory?

Im not even sure anymore if it was an 8k texture, could've been only 1024*1024, but using the other Loader Node definitely was the only way to fix the perfomance issue.
If its important: It was a tiled texture on a very large rectangle as 'floor' and it was scaled down and moved with its 2d Mapping properties by a Mover.

As we dont have the setup here anymore Im afraid I cant test the manual texture resize in the old environment :(
After it worked fine with the Image Loader we moved on with it, but I was just curious if there is an explanation for this behaviour.

Greets
schub