Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

OBJ Importer

Please report bugs in this group. We will maybe populate a list of known bugs with a possibly modified description at a later time.

Moderator: Support

lerou

OBJ Importer

Post by lerou » 27 Sep 2016, 13:05

Hi,

the obj importer seems to be completely broken in V5. It seems to import each face separately for pretty much all geometry I've used :/ Could you have a look at that?!

Thanks,
rou

Karol

Re: OBJ Importer

Post by Karol » 28 Sep 2016, 08:39

Hi rou!

What exactly do you mean with "import each face separately"?

Cheers
Karol

lerou

Post by lerou » 29 Sep 2016, 08:31

Well, it seems the default behaviour is that the object is split by the material. Now many exporters add a lot of redundant information into the obj file. Like this:

Code: Select all

usemtl scene_material1
f 59//241 61//242 62//243 60//244 
usemtl scene_material1
f 59//245 60//246 64//247 63//248 
usemtl scene_material1
f 59//249 63//250 65//251 61//252 
usemtl scene_material1
f 60//253 62//254 66//255 64//256 
now if you drag that into Ventuz, each face will become one geometry instead of just having one. The example above should never be interpreted as many subsets as it is the same material every time.

However I was able to get the desired result by changing the parameters. So I guess it's not really broken, just a bit cumbersome to use.

Nervermind, for now I withdraw this bug report until I got time to play with the importer a bit more.

Thanks,
rou

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 30 Sep 2016, 07:31

Hey rou..
i was on the road and had no 3D tool with me.

Therefore i tried to import a MODO FBX and it didnt work as well.. just an scale axis popped onto my scene.
While i had Visual Studio on the Laptop i could import the FBX easy, and export it as OBJ. The import went perfectly fine.

i will recheck this "old" but still used OBJ as well as the FBX from different tools.
since i asked _Gizmo thousand times to send me some more files to countercheck again again and again.. and i didnt recieve any.. i wasnt able to test this properly under "working circumstances"...

please push him as well to send me more refs....

would be greaaaat!!!

Thanks
Dee

:ugeek:

lerou

Post by lerou » 04 Oct 2016, 08:15

well, main problem I have at the moment (need to work with it some more) is the default behaviour. Basically with V4 you had the (annoying) import dialog. The good thing about it: it remembered your settings. So once you had it set up correctly, you could just import one model after the other. Now with drag&drop I believe it uses the defaults each time and having to set the correct settings after each import might be a hassle.

I'll export an obj for you once I find the time.

cheers,
rou

Dennis

Post by Dennis » 05 Oct 2016, 08:43

Hi rou,

yes if you find a model which doesnt work as expected forward this one..
as well as the software which you used to export ... exact obj exporter as well...

i remember that the "inbuild" OBJ exporter for 3dsmax made some trouble, therefore i used the open collada one.

i had an issue some days ago with modo and the FBX from modo.. sadly i had no chance to check the modo version etc.. all i got imported was a single "scale axis", nothing more.
i will ask the client for the exact combination for the modo and exporter version, maybe i can replicate this failed import.

Why i pointed out _gizmo in this case:
He is one of the guys i know, who is using kinda "exotic software" like softimage and other tools which we dont have access to, to check all the import routines,...
Yes we need support and feedback from all of you guys, so that no trouble occurs while in the design or import process...

Best RegArts

Dee

:ugeek:

lerou

Post by lerou » 05 Oct 2016, 11:27

Well... let's not forget we're talking about obj here. It's not exactly the most complex format there is. The problem I spoke about shouldn't be one, even without your customers providing test cases for you. Actually, what I posted above should be enough. You can write a simple obj in a text editor. Buuuuut, I'll be so nice and provide a sample ;)

Thanks,
rou