Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Render Target

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

chriss0212

Render Target

Post by chriss0212 » 26 Apr 2016, 15:49

PLEASE bring back render targets which can be used inside of a layer!

yes, in many cases the layer system is nice, but in many it is just annoying how many click's you have to do to archive the same result as in ventuz4.

I have finished my first Ventuz5 Project... works pretty well... but took much more time ;(

It would be really nice if we could get a node with nearly the same features of a layer... but inside of a layer! So i am voting for nested layers ;)

This would also fix the problem, that the slide manager is not working in some cases because of the missing render targets ;)

THX and greets

Christian

_aTom_

Re: Render Target

Post by _aTom_ » 26 Apr 2016, 20:06

+1

I found you did a great job with ventuz 5, but ...

The users from Ventuz 4 has to do to much clicks to come to the same result like before and some really important nodes are missing or hidden in complex structure.
I know to changed a lot and tried to make it easier for new users, but in some cases it´s not easier and looks more complex.

Hope it´s easy for you to get some old stuff back or find a simular solution. And please try to make in the future the navigation easier with less clicks ;)

Thanks!

Creative regards,
Tom
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter
Glare Productions - Full Service
Glare Technologies - Technology Service

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 27 Apr 2016, 16:42

I agree. I am working on my second V5 project now and it really takes much longer working on a scene than it did in V4. Don't get me wrong, I love V5's new capabilities but the usability could be enhanced.

I do miss being able to mix several cameras and projections in on hierarchy. That was essential for positioning several 3D objects on a wide canvas (CenterX is your friend!). Now I will need a layer for each object. Thank the Maker for the Group node.

One really needs double or more clicks to get somewhere. Just take loading a texture for example. There are a lot of clicks and so forth required to finally be able to load a texture. Maybe automatically jump to the Texture Loader node when you choose it from the Material property editor?! It just takes so long to get there.

I do agree with the Render Targets Node no longer being available. But I love the capabilities of the Layer system. It just takes getting used to using more layers. It can get a bit messy and un-organized when using many layers. Even when using Group nodes. Even Layer colors don't really help. I think my biggest problem I had was the complexity of the interconnectivity of Layers. Having to expose all the properties to the Layer in order to connect them. All that went away when I realized I could put nodes in the Content Editor without being in a Layer, but on the Layer Level. So connecting Layers has become much easier and you can even bind animations from several layers in your own master Animation node.

I guess with some user interactivity tweaks we can get it back to V4 speeds and not loose any of the awesome stuff from V5. I'll be sending feedback from the Designer to annoy Karol as much as possible.

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 01 May 2016, 22:45

Hey,

just to be clear, no argument from our side!

A whole ton of things happened on the UI side, obviously, with a huge (mostly positive) impact on workflow. Additionally, one of the things we tried to do was reduce the initial information overload / ventuz confusion on new users. Between the two, there are bound to be things that are more clunky than they need to be. So, now we are looking at feedback and figuring out how and where we can go back and streamline things a bit or fill in holes.

<public service announcement>

The key to this, as Chris says, is to give us feedback. We are looking at the UX, we are figuring out things we don't like, but I guarantee we are looking at it very differently than you. You want a better user experience for you - tell us exactly where it is bad for you. Saying "important nodes are missing" or "it takes too many clicks" helps us in the same way as saying "I'm missing some really important drill bits" - we are informed there is a problem, but not what or where :) Saying it takes too many clicks to load a texture with a texture loader node gives us something to work with. (btw, without a texture loader node, it takes exactly one click to load a texture, with, somewhere between 8 and 11 - I have reported this!)

Best option is to use the feedback button (smiley face) in the software. That goes to our bug tracking system and won't get lost. If you are in the middle of a project and don't have time, write down a note and get back to it later. If you really want to be helpful, send us a quick screengrab/capture with the problem. Above all, let us know what you are trying to achieve.

</public service announcement>

thanks!
-E

Karol

Post by Karol » 02 May 2016, 10:03

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 03 May 2016, 10:12

Karols tip indeed will reduce many clicks... especially if we put these nodes into the repository ;)

many clicks we have are because of the layer system... nearly everything needs to be exposed from one layer to the other and this is really annoying. what would help a little bit is: please use the user given node names for the property name maybe it makes sense to use additional the value type of the exposed value!
for eg.:
an axis has the name: ContentAxis and i want to expose the PositionX. Exposed name could be: ContentAxis_PositionX. Category could be: ContentAxis and so the readable property name could be: ...PsoitionX in Category ContentAxis

and i would be really happy if we would have render targets back in the hierarchy! a question: if we use the old v4 render targets in v5: does it have any performance issues compared to ventuz4?

what about using nodes from ventuz4 in general: any disadvantage except of missing features?

thx and greets

christian