Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Using a slide manager in Ventuz5

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Olivier

Using a slide manager in Ventuz5

Post by Olivier » 15 Apr 2016, 12:21

Hello all!

I'm working on a my first new project on V5! But I have some issues.

I'm making a show using the slide manager inside a 3D Layer with HDR (as I will need to bring some 3D inside the presentation) and I aslo have another 2D Movieclip layer for my background...

The problem is that I have light issues on images and videos. See attached files with my reference image. On the bottom left the image is with the new material node with no light / white the bootom right image is done using a copy paste from ventuz4.

So my questions is, how can I use only one slide manager controling everything inside one single layer : 3D with HDR, videos, images etc... ??

For example if I need to bring one image as a texture inside my 3D object with HDR, how can I avoid the brightness problem without putting my image on another layer in order to work easily with the slide manager??

Thank you,

Regards,

Olivier
Attachments
Capture.JPG

stephen

Re: Using a slide manager in Ventuz5

Post by stephen » 18 Apr 2016, 09:53

Hi Olivier,

the old V4 Color and Material Nodes do not work properly in V5, especially in HDR Layers - because of the different Gamma which the old nodes are not aware of.

So in order to be able to work in the same Layer you will have to use V5 Nodes only. To replace the Nodes you may use the Scene Statistics Dialog (Menu Bar->Scene->Scene Statistics) which shows you all Nodes in your scene sorted by Category. Optionally filtered by deprecated Nodes.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

Olivier

Post by Olivier » 18 Apr 2016, 11:19

Hello,

Ok I see that for images I do not have the problem when using the V5 nodes

But I still have brightness problem when running videos inside HDR layers... See attached file.

Thanks,

Olivier
Attachments
video_problem.jpg
video_brightness_problem.vza
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

stephen

Post by stephen » 18 Apr 2016, 12:07

Hi Olivier,

you are right! What we are missing is a Gamma Hint for Movie Nodes. By default Images use the right Gamma for their Textures (see the Gamma Hint property in a Texture Loader Property Group of e.g. a Material Node, it is set to Auto). We do not have that for Movies. I have created a Ticket for that and we will hopefully fix that for the next version.

Until then we have a kind of dirty, imperfect workaround: you can multiply the Movie's Texture with itself when applying it to the Rectangle. To do so just create a Material (No Light) with two Texture Stages (apply them to the Base Color) and let them both take the Texture from an empty Texture Property instead of a Texture Loader. Now you can create a Movie Loader Node in the Content Container and bind both empty Texture Properties to the Movie Loader. See the attached scene for reference. This way you have created a Gamma of 2 when applying the texture. This is still not the needed 2.2 - but it is by far better than 1 when applying the texture once.

If the result is still not acceptable for you you will need to use another Layer for the Movies without HDR until we fix the Gamma issue.

Stephen
Attachments
MovieClipHDR.vza
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 236 times

Olivier

Post by Olivier » 18 Apr 2016, 17:34

Ok for the video, it will be fixed :)

But for images also there is still a problem on 3D HDR layer even when using no light with base color white.

See attached picture with a color picker and compare the values...

Thanks,

Olivier
Attachments
image_gamma.jpg

stephen

Post by stephen » 20 Apr 2016, 09:51

Hi Olivier,

the Movie Gamma bug is fixed - this will be released with the next Ventuz Version (V5.0.2 or V5.1.0).

The Texture Loader has a Gamma Hint property. Setting it to Gamma 2-2 should fix this.

Regards,
Stephen