DIRECTOR MULTICHANNEL FEATURE

All other topics about Ventuz Director here.

DIRECTOR MULTICHANNEL FEATURE

Postby Daniel Willer » 22 Sep 2014, 12:22

Daniel Willer

Re: DIRECTOR MULTICHANNEL FEATURE

Postby shermanpat » 22 Sep 2014, 16:27

This is very exciting to see, can't wait to use it.
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby shermanpat » 23 Sep 2014, 16:31

Trying to get the multi channel set up. I can't seem to get the the second channel to connect. Seems to me be something with the local machines ports because when I launch a show the 2nd port grays out(see images below). Guessing I have just missed a step along the way, maybe with the stage editor or layout scene?

-Sherman
Attachments
message.PNG
message.PNG (10.91 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
not connected.PNG
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby shermanpat » 23 Sep 2014, 16:46

Ok, I forgot to set up the layout scene in project properties... Up and running now.
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby Alex Klein » 25 Sep 2014, 11:12

Glad you found the problem on your own, sort of validates that the UI is good enough :-) I might be able to make the error log message more specific though... I'll open a ticket for the next bugfix release to check out what's possible.
Alex Klein

Postby shermanpat » 26 Sep 2014, 04:58

Took me a moment to think it out. Really like the multi-channel features so far, very helpful for upcoming projects.

Haven't tried a multi machine show yet. I was wondering where I might be able to see more info on the project, stage, render set up for a system like in the video "how to controll multi machine cluster from one director"?
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby Alex Klein » 29 Sep 2014, 12:37

Note exactly sure what you mean, is there a specific portion of the video you refer to (like at a specific minute:second)? Currently the topology only shows which render setup, A/V config and machine config are active on the machines (I believe its part of the tooltip that comes up when you hover over the Ventuz runtime icon inside a cluster), its sort of a limited version of what you can see in the Ventuz Configuration Editor. "Stage"? Do you mean layout scene...?
Alex Klein

Postby shermanpat » 02 Oct 2014, 03:57

More so was just wondering if you could point me to some areas of that manual or examples on the general set up of that type use case of a game show. Such as a Display wall, Host, Contestant with director control.

Mostly not sure how you would set up the project(or projects) to achieve this as well as how the scenes are set up to render. Then how best to get that in to director.

Still pretty new to both director and using multiple cluster sharing data and interactions. So thank you for listening and point me in a direction. Really am liking the multi channel stuff! Sure has simplified/removed some work arounds I had to do when setting up scenes for director.
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby shermanpat » 22 Oct 2014, 22:18

To extend on the previous question now that I have got more time with director. Could you extend more on the topology, Layout scene and stage editor for the video "How to control multiple Ventuz machine clusters from one Director".

I am specifically wondering these few things:
How do I set of the project aspect ratio, Layout/stage editor, scenes to have different aspect ratios on say a 3x1 video wall and 16x9 contestant monitor. Each with similar content just rendered differently.

It seems that there is one set number of ports for the local/cluster input in the topology editor. If I want 4 layers on the video wall, and 2 layers for the constant monitor. So I set up as 6 ports and use the first 4 as wall, and last 2 constant?

Thanks.
-Sherman
Meru Interactive
shermanpat

Postby Alex Klein » 23 Oct 2014, 10:14

Hi,

regarding the second part of your post, yes, we currently assume that the same project/content runs on all machines and therefore the number of ports is a global setting on the topology. Having two completely differently layer outputs is sort of a special case.

The usage of the ports is up to you but yes, if you need local preview for everything, you could use a layout scene on the local machine that has 6 ports and for example render the first 4 in one viewport and the other 2 in another, set both to 50% width and thus render them side-by-side in the Director preview. Director has no knowledge of the underlying layout scenes that are loaded in the individual runtimes, it just sends template engine commands to ports, simple as that. So just make sure that the layout scene for the video wall has 4 and the contestant screen 2 ports and just leave the other ports unconnected, that will work fine.

With regard to content for different aspect outputs, there probably is no good answer or easy way to automatically adjust it. Layouting always requires manual work, regardless of what software you use. In the video, we used different templates, so there was a question and answer template for the wall and another template with the same data but a different layout (and design) for the contestant screen. As long as the structure of the data channels for the templates is the same, you can then use Director's migrate channel rule to auto-replace templates for the other channels and copy over the values.

Alex
Alex Klein

Next

Return to General Discussion