Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Copy node, keep output bindings

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

lerou

Copy node, keep output bindings

Post by lerou » 25 Feb 2015, 10:39

Hi,

When you copy a node, you can keep its bindings. That's a very good help! But it only works for inputs.

I know, this would not work for all outputs, since they often have a 1:1 binding (for instance output float to float expression). But it would be awesome to see this feature for those outputs that have a n:1 binding. Best example: You have a node that fires an event. That event is bound to a script. Now you copy that node 100 times and want all fired events to be bound to the same script method. If you don't have an intern who you can force to manually bind those events, you're screwed.

Having this would be great! Or is there a way to do this that I don't know?

Thanks,
rou

lerou

Re: Copy node, keep output bindings

Post by lerou » 01 Mar 2015, 17:10

Thought for a moment I had a workaround. Using an event in the scene data. So inside the interface container I would bind an outgoing event to trigger the scene event. Then outside the container I would get my event not directly from an output of the interface container, but from the scene event. This works so far.

But then I copied the container and saw that the binding was gone. Why?! That would have been a real good use for the scene data.

So, who's gonna make all those bindings for me? Anyone? No? Hm.

cheers,
rou

joysprod

Post by joysprod » 02 Mar 2015, 14:12

Could you fire the event by OSC, therefore not requiring a physical connection?

Peter

lerou

Post by lerou » 02 Mar 2015, 15:01

Yes, that would be a workaround. However I don't want to use a network protocol for such a basic functionality.

thanks,
rou

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 02 Mar 2015, 15:51

i agree with peter....

thats the way i do it in most cases .....but i agree with rou ;)

greetz

christian

lerou

Post by lerou » 02 Mar 2015, 16:33

Yeah, I agree that's probably the best workaround atm ;)

However one thing I like about Ventuz is that it does not have invisible connections. I've seen quite a few applications that have exactly that problem: you don't see connections. Some nodes are connected by putting in another node's name in the property editor. That's a terrible design. Ventuz shows your connections. Sometimes it gets messy, but I still prefer that over any invisible connection. Using OSC introduces invisible connections. I don't like that. Nobody will be able to understand the scene without digging into each container.

So please please please: support copying outgoing event connections. Thanks!
rou

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 03 Mar 2015, 09:02

+1