Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

A Ventuz Plyback Codec

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

joysprod

A Ventuz Plyback Codec

Post by joysprod » 06 Jun 2014, 12:05

Although Ventuz is very much about Realtime, there are many clients who are looking for a playback solution of videos with ever increasing resolution and not interested in the realtime aspect for various reasons. They make their money and only have experience with the traditional products - After Effects, C4D etc. They have control over the design of the content and keep the relationship with their client - very closely.

4k reslution and above is soon becoming the normal as LCD and LED walls are getting higher and higher resolution, and cheaper.

Often we are being asked to supply a solution of just simple video playback of resolutions around 10 - 12m pixels. A number of manufactures have risen to the challenge and written their own Codec to support higher resolutions. A contender on the scene with their new screen controller http://www.aviary-videotools.com/products/par4keet uses their own codec FlexRes to be able to playback upto 12m pixels.

Now on looking at this box, it is clearly not a Ventuz! But companies like myself have to look at return on investment, and if Ventuz can be 'all things to all men' and can achieve the same thing but offering more, then it makes commercial sense. I dont want to own a number of different boxes to offer to clients. To learn yet another system. I want one box (Ventuz) to be the solution of choice. The box to go to each time.

I do think at the moment that Ventuz is lacking in this area and with GPU technology advancing then it must make sense to use a codec that is decoding through the GPU. I dont know enough about GPU technology, and there may be many reasons why its not possible in Ventuz?

Regards

Peter

Dierk Ohlerich

Re: A Ventuz Plyback Codec

Post by Dierk Ohlerich » 10 Jun 2014, 09:00

Video playback beyond 4k is nice if you have the video - but creating videos at that size is tedious at best. We focus our effort on giving you the ability to create content in real-time so you don't need to rely on pre-produced videos for everything.

If you need to use video, you can always use codecs like lagarith that support flexible resolutions, lossless compression with alpha at low demands on the CPU (and extreme demands on the SSD's), or use multiple H264 which will give you best
compression (until h265 becomes available).

Aviary is pretty silent on what their technology really does, so I can't compare it. When we evaluated GPU based codecs we found out that buying a couple of SSD's and choosing the right codec can solve the problem without developing a new codec.

This equation will change when we talk about 4x4k setups, but then who want's to create the content for that if not in real-time...
-- Dierk Ohlerich

joysprod

Re: A Ventuz Playback Codec

Post by joysprod » 13 Jun 2014, 13:29

Hi Dierk,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand about using a Codec with low CPU demands. I will give Lagarith a try. I'm having difficulty in finding a conversion tool that will read Quicktimes and allow me to re-compress with Lagarith codec. Is there anything available Windows or Mac?

Regards

Peter

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 13 Jun 2014, 13:41

mmhhh....

on my machine lagarith eats 5 times mor cpu compared to h264!

is this normal?

greetz

christian

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 13 Jun 2014, 21:57

huffyuv encoded with ffmpeg seems to run nicely!

greetz

christian

Dierk Ohlerich

Post by Dierk Ohlerich » 16 Jun 2014, 08:23

Chriss is right. It seems the better encoding of lagarith is not worth the more expensive CPU processing. I used Lagarith extensively before SSD's where everywhere, but never beyond resolutions of 1080p. Back then the HDD was the bottleneck... Huffyuv for the win!
-- Dierk Ohlerich

joysprod

Re: A Ventuz Playback Codec

Post by joysprod » 31 Jul 2014, 15:26

The open source Hap codec seems to be gaining a following from some of the major media servers. Ventuz support anytime soon?

http://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/hap-windows

Regards

Peter

Dierk Ohlerich

Post by Dierk Ohlerich » 01 Aug 2014, 08:20

On paper at least, HAP looks underwhelmingly unimpressive. While it is truly quick in decompression, is the quality really acceptable?
-- Dierk Ohlerich