Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Text Node Performance

Please report bugs in this group. We will maybe populate a list of known bugs with a possibly modified description at a later time.

Moderator: Support

Eric_RD

Text Node Performance

Post by Eric_RD » 23 Sep 2014, 17:10

Somehow text Rendering takes a lot performance sometimes.
This is a thing we have discovered in very different situations on different machines.
In some situations the GPU Performance goes from 20% to 70% just by switching a text from alpha 0% to alpha 100%.
I made a little demo video and attached a little demo vza.
text_test.vza
Scene Archive
(38.65 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
The resolution is FullHD, multisampling is turned off, the rest is default.
I made this video with my Laptop so my specs are a little bit cheesy but even with my GF765M an core i7 4700MQ displaying a text shouldn't use 23% GPU and 19% CPU performance.
We also had this situation on our top notch workstations (R9 290X or Firepro V8800 with latest i7).
It doesn't matter if it is Blocktext or Enriched Text or where the text is located (Excel, Textfile, String Node)
Moving the text out of the render target saves a little performance, alpha 0% sets performance back to idle.
It also doesn't matter if the alpha has blocking activated.
It gets worse when you open the scene in the designer and the renderer isn't set to fullscreen (this is no problem by the way, it may be caused by redndering Ventuz itself plus the 3D Scene)
The Video is made from vpr playback and captured by nvidia shadowplay which causes hardly any performance. (At least the GPU und CPU performance values are the same no matter if shadow play is turned on)
text_test.vpr
Presentation
(10.73 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Here is the captured video.
http://we.tl/c2Fkl1swkQ

Karol

Re: Text Node Performance

Post by Karol » 25 Sep 2014, 09:24

Hi Eric!

Most probably you are using the High-Quality resolution independent Text Rendering.
Go to the Machine Configuration and disable 'High Quality 2D Text Rendering'. See: http://www.ventuz.com/support/help/late ... reSettings
There is also another option to improve text rendering performance with 2D Text:
Select the Text 2D node and open the 'Style' property drop-down box; click 'Create Node'; disable 'PlainLayer'; select 'Plain' on Effect1Style property.
This will advice Ventuz to use a different text rendering technique which is not resolution independent but much more 'cost-effective'.

Best Regards
Karol