Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Touch Translation/Transformation + Button

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

schub

Touch Translation/Transformation + Button

Post by schub » 11 Oct 2013, 11:22

Hi,
I'm trying to built an application which can use TouchTransform and TouchButton on top of each other, much like its done on any touch device (e.g. Android)

Imagine a bunch of buttons, to many to fit on a screen. When you drag your finger across the screen it will scroll through the 'menu' - when you tap one of the buttons it works like a button - sounds simple, but it's not because touch nodes are exclusive.

I managed to create this behaviour with a combination of TouchTransformation and the old MouseOver node from Ventuz 3.
Basically it checks if the touch is inside the geometry, and if the TouchTranslation doesnt detect a certain threshold of movement, it sends the event on touch release.

This works great with a mouse, but the application is intented for a TUIO touch device, which doesn't give input to the MouseOver node.
Did anyone tried something like this before or has an idea on how to make it usable with touch displays?

ps.: Why did you remove the MouseOver and HitTester in Ventuz 4? Those were great, and pretty much the only kind of non-exclusive collision detection we had ;(

schub

Re: Touch Translation/Transformation + Button

Post by schub » 11 Oct 2013, 11:34

To late to edit, but after posting i thought of this:
Would it be possible to add another property to the interaction nodes to toggle them from exclusive to non-exclusive (with default to exclusive, so there are no compatibility issues). This would add so many possibilities to handle different touch conditions with our own logic.

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 11 Oct 2013, 11:39

hi schub

- hittester: you can export a vza with a hittester from v3 and import it into v4 and...you have a hittester in v4 ;)
- there is a script around to get acces to the tuio data! so: no problem to combine tuio with the hittester ;)
- if you dont like the script: with the tuio toolbox from tobias schwirten you get the first i think 10 points as osc data!

https://code.google.com/p/tuiotoolbox/

greetz

christian

schub

Post by schub » 11 Oct 2013, 12:36

thanks chris, that looks like a possible workaround.
there is a script around to get acces to the tuio data! so: no problem to combine tuio with the hittester
I found this thread, Alex was talking about a simpler script he posted but i couldn't find it.

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 11 Oct 2013, 12:48

hi schub

the script is in the vza from alex ;)

greetz

christian

schub

Post by schub » 11 Oct 2013, 13:06

yeah, but i wondered where the small version is that he mentioned
P.S.: Before anyone (chriss, hint, hint ;) ) complains, yes, this is 450 lines of code/doc as it already handles a couple of problem cases. The first basic implementation I had was way shorter and easier to understand (and done in under an hour), but I decided to put everything into a separate thread so the delay is minimized, clean up a few things, ...

schub

Post by schub » 11 Oct 2013, 15:06

I just learned about the upcoming TouchRipple node!
This will make it 10x easier, can't wait for v4.1 :D

Daniel Willer

Post by Daniel Willer » 11 Oct 2013, 16:03

In the next Ventuz release there will be a TouchRipples node that provides the tracked touch points :D

schub

Post by schub » 14 Oct 2013, 15:45

Hi Alex, those are good news.
Does that mean, if I place a button on top of a translation node and I start the swipe on said button it will move the translation, but also fire the buttons singletap event?
If yes, it would be very easy to do the additional logic for handling the unwanted triggering.
By the way, we don't use the button events for touch applications, but a more forgiving touch-pressed to event-shot setup.

For now Im trying to do a workaround with proxy buttons in another hierarchy tree, that are actually touch translations.
Their Y-values get added to the menu axis, but dont update the proxy buttons axis until the touch is released.
I tried to do the double translation in one tree, but the menu was flickering while swiping.

ErikB

Post by ErikB » 16 Oct 2013, 17:03

For more on this, please look at the new Touch Proxy node (and associated help files)!