Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Newly installed font not displaying properly

All other topics about Ventuz here.

Moderator: Support

robertwinter

Newly installed font not displaying properly

Post by robertwinter » 09 Nov 2014, 18:41

I just installed a new OpenType font on my system which works fine in programs like Wordpad. But selecting the font in Ventuz displays a default font. There seems to be the same issue with some other fonts on the system as well. System reboot had no effect.
I've tried copying the font into the project as well as referencing it. Same problem.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Newly installed font not displaying properly

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 10 Nov 2014, 10:22

You are not alone with that behaviour. There are a few fonts Ventuz cannot use, those are mostly in the OTF file format when I encounter the problem. If you think you have such a issue check the message log. Ventuz has detailed descriptiosn about which font it cannot properly read and what might be the problem. Some fonts are just rubbish anyways. When indeed it is an OTF font you could go to http://onlinefontconverter.com/ and convert it to TTF. It usually does the trick but font conversions can have a tendency to mess up kernings, scalings, glyph IDs, etc. Be careful when doing that. Or use a dedicated Font Editor like FontLab to convert the font.

robertwinter

Post by robertwinter » 11 Nov 2014, 01:01

I've tried online converters and even Fontographer with no luck. Ventuz only states it cannot load the font.

SamTheSwede

Post by SamTheSwede » 11 Nov 2014, 11:35

I've been having lots of font-problems during the years, and the one solution that has worked for me is to use Hi-Logic Font Creator, load the font, go to the Font Menu and choose 'Kerning', hit "Clean Up" and save as .ttf

Be careful that you are using Font Creator version 7 or higher, as I've experienced kerning tables being erased when using earlier versions.

This has been working for me most of the times.

I can often use the otf-font on my Win8 system, but when moving the Project to a Win7 machine, the font needs to be .ttf

Hope this helps!

// Sam

robertwinter

Post by robertwinter » 22 Nov 2014, 06:05

Here's another head-scratcher with fonts.

I modified a valid TTF font from scratch using Fontographer. I was able to successfully load that into Ventuz. I made a simple scene with a 2D text node and put up some block text. The Plain layer displays the original version of the font, NOT the modified version. But if I add text effects to that node, ALL of those effects use the modified version of the font!

I'll admit that I'm not very experienced with Fontographer, but the font displays correctly in all other Windows programs. So why would the plain layer use the original version of the font and where is it getting that from?
Attachments
Font Test.vpa
(35.12 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Font Problem.png
White text is Plain layer - incorrectly displaying original version of font. Colored text is Effects 1-3 using same font which correctly displays modified version.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 23 Nov 2014, 07:11

I think that has to do with the Font cache. The new layers are using the modded version because the fonts were created afterwards and the base layer is using the old ones. That should be the case if the file name is the same. (I think :)) Try closing Ventuz, delete the Ventuz font cache, restart and load the scene again. Then it should only use the modded, new version.

robertwinter

Post by robertwinter » 23 Nov 2014, 15:32

Forgive my ignorance, but where is the font cache located?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 24 Nov 2014, 06:48

You can find the Font cache in C:\ProgramData\Ventuz4\Fonts

robertwinter

Post by robertwinter » 24 Nov 2014, 07:12

That fixed it! Many thanks.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 24 Nov 2014, 11:10

Excellent. Glad it worked.