Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Render stalls

All other topics about Ventuz here.

Moderator: Support

SamTheSwede

Render stalls

Post by SamTheSwede » 09 May 2014, 10:23

Probably a long-shot but my presenter log is full of these:
20:59:03.0 Warning: 4 (XPath Expression) Resource XPath Expression took 112ms to create and may caused rendering stalls

The xml document that my XPath Expressions are connected to is not very big, therefore I'm a bit curious to why an XPath Expression can take to long to create or execute?

The log starts with these warnings from 49 ms and the number of ms is increasing throughout the day and finally we have a situation where the render is stuttering, forcing a restart.

I haven't been able too monitor memory consumption or anything, but it seems something doesn't get flushed from memory the way it should!?

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Sam

Karol

Re: Render stalls

Post by Karol » 09 May 2014, 13:00

Hi Sam!

Hard to say whats going on!
Without your scene it's impossible to help you.
Is it possible to strip down your scene so far that it works on my site and still shows that issue?
You have my email, don't you? Otherwise send me a PM!

Best Regards
Karol

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 09 May 2014, 13:49

Can't help with your node problem at hand. I know that is the worst case solution but I would not use the XML nodes and instead do it yourself in a small script. That gives you more flexibility and should clear up your performance problems. I usually parse my information from XML, store it in arrays and can pretty much do whatever I want with it. It is pretty simple and only requires a few lines of code. Check this site out: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2441 ... in-c-sharp

SamTheSwede

Post by SamTheSwede » 12 May 2014, 09:48

Hi Karol and Christian, thank you for your suggestion!

The setup is this (and why it's a bit hard to strip down the scene)

I have a c# script that is a TCP listener, getting commands from a broadcast automation system. This is a very small XML that is parsed within the script. The output of the TCP listener is a "page number" which is passed to another C# Script that communicates with my database. A new db question is processed when the "page number" is changed. The output of this script is an XML that is then parsed outside of the script to extract metadata and also for larger "pages", (about 4K), I also apply an XSL to format the output to a nice rolling menu.

So, stripping down the scene is not really doable unless I supply you with the database, a dll to put in your GAC and the communication protocol for the TCP listener. I can do all that, but I don't know if you have the time to go through it all?

Internal parsing of the XML is something I've done for years in Ventuz 3 without any problem, the problem described has occurred in our first Ventuz 4 production scene. The operators report that they see severe render stalls when there is a vertical ticker going on, usually a couple of days after restart of the scene.

I'll try to parse all xml inside of the script as well, just for reference sake, but I will also send you, Karol, a presenter log where the above mentioned render stalls are forming a pattern that you might be able to recreate another way.

Ok?

Best regards,

Sam