Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

C# vs Ventuz

Post requests for new features to this forum group. Any suggestion to expand the possibilities of Ventuz are welcome.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

C# vs Ventuz

Post by gabrielefx » 18 Jun 2013, 08:56

I understand that C# is a powerful programming language but needs a lot of knowledge.
There are not so many guys that want to learn a programming language to use a graphic software.
It's different for who wants to develop video games.
Ventuz it's a graphic software but can be expanded via the C# and HLSL node and it's ok.
I think that many nodes ready made can be further developed for the people not interested in programming.
Glare shaders for example are good but Ventuz bundled are too few.
Then nodes for cast shadows, orizonthal and vertical reflections should be implemented.
I would like to see in Ventuz lights that cast shadows, I put a light node before a geometry and et voilá I see shadows.
Many aspect of rt computer graphic can be implemented easier in Ventuz without invent or develop code for C# nodes.

Regards

chriss0212

Re: C# vs Ventuz

Post by chriss0212 » 19 Jun 2013, 07:03

hi gabriel...

even without c# and hlsl you can produce wonderfull apps! c# and hlsl is just some kind of tuning your engine...and for tuning you need somebody who knows what to do ;)

greetz

christian

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: C# vs Ventuz

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 19 Jun 2013, 11:46

I agree. I can maybe write a small and super simple Shader and write some C# script to parse XML files and stuff like that but I am no programmer so I cannot use those tools the way I would like to. So I have to go to other people that know what they are doing. Thing is, Shaders and Scripts basically allow someone to extend Ventuz in almost unlimited ways. There are so many options and things you can do with them that you end up having the same problem all other development teams have. You need the right people for the right job. Some Shader programmers are focusing on physics and liquid simulation but have no clue about soft skinning character meshes. Some C# programmers know how to use network protocols but have no idea about wrapping C++ code. Thing is, Ventuz is so much better and offers so much more for really crazy stuff by having Shader and C# support. But similar to programming in those languages outside of Ventuz it is not for everyone. It is the same as using MEL in Maya. I cannot write complex MEL scripts. I would have to learn that. But I can use what other people wrote and maybe edit it. So you have to think like that in Ventuz as well. What would be the alternative? Not having Shaders and Scripting? Not an option in my book. And like Chriss said, you can do incredibly awesome looking and fantastic graphics and animations in Ventuz, interact with them, update them live, etc etc etc. Shaders and Scripting is the advanced cherry on top. If you can't use it, at least you can use what other people created with it. The Glare Plugins are the best example. Ventuz does not have a feature but you need it? It is a special function you require but it is not available. With Shaders and Scripts you can still have it. But you might need someone else to program it for you. Ah, I am starting to blabber. :) That's my take on the subject.