Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Ventuz Presentation - Excel Image Source

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Nicklt

Ventuz Presentation - Excel Image Source

Post by Nicklt » 26 Feb 2014, 18:19

Hi all,

Pretty new to Ventuz so please bear with me. I'm really enjoying the process of creating scenes, having a .NET coding background, its been great so far. However, I'm trying to accomplish creating a presentation which uses advanced image loaders and DDS loaders to source my Textures. The file is being read from an excel cell at the moment with buttons included to switch which cell the image loader reads from and update the image accordingly. This works great in the render window in the Designer(cell content is along the lines of ventuz://images/Image.jpg). However when I go to export the presentation, firstly, all the images the excel sheet references are not included as I guess ventuz see's it as 'they have not been explicitly referenced' therefore are not required in the export. However, the Excel Spreadsheet gets exported as it holds text values used within the scene also (these appear fine in the presentation).

So my question is regarding whether or not I need to change my approach by explicitly referencing image locations (thereby Having to duplicate a lot of content within my project, as opposed to simply having one container switch which cell it reads from instead of dynamically updating it). Also with regards to when the scene is to be used.

I am also interested as to whether the presenter is the recommended way to show a scene at run time (opposed to showing the render window in full screen - or is this option used too).

and finally, as I plan to use the scene on a touch screen. Is there any way of Hiding the Mouse cursor?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this post. Any response would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Daniel Willer

Re: Ventuz Presentation - Excel Image Source

Post by Daniel Willer » 27 Feb 2014, 09:48

Hi there

You are right, ventuz is not including the resources referenced from the excel cause it does not know about these resources. There are two ways to solve it, the first way is to use the ResourceLinker node to add resources to the export resource list. Another way is to reference the images with relative paths like "./Images/image.jpg" to point relative to the VPR file.

Cheers!
Daniel

Nicklt

Post by Nicklt » 27 Feb 2014, 11:52

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the swift response, thats got the stuff working now using the resource linker, so the project actually see's the content to be exported correctly. Another concern I hope you could help with is the Memory usage the scene is using, we have built a box specifically for purpose. However Our scene memory usage looks to be capped; I noticed on the scene performance says the current usage is System 1873.1/1380 GPU - 1342.2/512 Prf - 6/16ms - The system memory usage '1380' value looks to be consistent with the 32bit memory cap as outlined in this post http://www.ventuz.com/support/help/v3_0 ... mance.html; However the machine is running a 64Bit operating system with 4gb RAM, and Ventuz was installed using the 64bit installer; yet it would appear that we are still being affected by this limitation.

Any solutions/ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers

Karol

Post by Karol » 27 Feb 2014, 15:50

The displayed memory limit value on Ventuz x64 is a bug. It's fixed in Ventuz 4.
So you don't need to be concerned about your 1800 Mb usage on a machine with 4 GB.

Cheers
Karol

Nicklt

Post by Nicklt » 06 Mar 2014, 12:24

Ah that's OK then. Any idea's about my Mouse Cursor query? Hiding it would be preferable as we are using it as a touch screen.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 06 Mar 2014, 20:15

You can deactivate the Mouse Pointer in the Direct3D settings of your project.