Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Issues using AirScan with Ventuz

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

Carlos

Issues using AirScan with Ventuz

Post by Carlos » 09 Oct 2013, 09:31

Hi there!

We had an issue trying to control our Ventuz demo with an AirScan. In case you don't know what that is, is just like a Radar Touch hardware.
The problem we found is that we could control our scene only by clicking or only by dragging. I mean that the mouse behaviour had two options (actually three, but one of them didn't work at all):
With the first option active, AirScan detected the "mouse clicks" and we could access our content whenever it was triggered by a SingleTap.
With the second option active, we could only use the events that were triggered by "clicking and dragging", or when the TouchLeave event was triggered.

Have I made sense at all? :)

Could you find what's the problem?

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Issues using AirScan with Ventuz

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 09 Oct 2013, 10:35

With rotation laser type touch recognition systems the regular Touch Interaction events such as SingleTab etc are pretty much useless in my opinion. We usually use the TouchEnter event to get proper and accurate feedback to simulate a mouse click. Using TouchLeave events you can also control certain behaviors. We use the regular Touch Translation node when dragging elements. But we never ever use SingleTab/ The response is unreliable and too slow as well.

Chris

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 09 Oct 2013, 10:37

i agree with christian...dont use the single tab! use touch enter!

greetz

christian

Carlos

Post by Carlos » 09 Oct 2013, 10:45

Thank you so much!
But what if I have kind of a wheel that you can rotate along its axis, and it is composed by different buttons that allows you to go into different parts of the show?
As soon as you try to rotate the wheel, it would trigger the event of the button your finger falls on, isn't it?

Carlos

Post by Carlos » 09 Oct 2013, 11:07

I mean something like this:
Attachments
Snapshot.jpg

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 09 Oct 2013, 11:59

I already wrote a long answer before Alex posted. So I am not commenting on your post Alex. Here goes:

That should work if your buttons are not part of the rotating touch element. Seperate them. Then if you rotate your entire object Ventuz locks the interactive nodes so only the current active one is operational. Once you release the rotation, all buttons will immediately be active again. In order to avoid accidently pressing a button immediately after the rotation you should disable the buttons for half a second after the rotation is done. Use the TouchLeave property of the Rotation interactivity node to trigger a timer that disables the other buttons. Then you have a safe user experience.

You can of course also have the buttons be embedded into the actual rotational object but then you have to create a custom touch-drag-trigger logic. We did that twice so far and it is not so much fun. Don't make your life harder than it needs to be. Just life by the golden rule "Design follows Function". :)

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 09 Oct 2013, 12:04

As for Alex's comment about stacking. True, you cannot stack. Key is to use the properties and events required for a specific operation when using rotation lasers. The behavior is simply different as opposed to regular touch screens. We usually combine TouchTranslation and TouchRotation nodes for proper interaction with manual TouchEnter triggers for buttons. But this is not a general rule. It depends on the interface, size of elements, level of interactivity and so forth. But using TouchEnter simply makes your life a lot easier as button triggers for rotation laser setups.

As for SingleTab reliablity. I would say a third of the time we use this event it does not trigger. It's probably due to the time interval that internally triggers the event. We always combine TouchInside and TouchPressed into one custom event. In our experience that is the only 100% reliable way to always get a proper (button) trigger.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » 10 Oct 2013, 11:26

Thank you both for taking so much time and effort to help me! I really appreciate that!

I'm trying to rebuild all my single tap actions, but I'm struggling!
Christian, you said you use a custom event combining TouchInside and TouchPressed... does that involve scripting? Because I think that is way above me! :(
I've tried to make an event using a float function, where if TouchInside and TouchPressed are both in the "on" state, that would return a 1, which I use to trigger a event. But I don't feel it reliable. It's certainly more reliable than the SingleTap behavior, but it fails most of the times.

Could you give me a hint about what's the approach you take? And it would be helpful if you explain it as if I was a total dumb, because talking to you I actually feel like one! :oops:

chriss0212

Post by chriss0212 » 10 Oct 2013, 13:08

hi carlos

please try to use just touch pressed or touch inside! we are working a lot with the radarTOUCH with the original radarTOUCH software (because we developed it together with the lang ag) and for a normal button this should be enough! we have absolut nor problem with this. maybe you can combine the touch pressed with a timer if the duration of pressing does matter! if you still have problems it could be related to the coolux air scan software

greetz

christian