Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Material creation

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

Material creation

Post by gabrielefx » 24 May 2013, 00:00

I understand that every graphical function has to be granular to control every parameter but i don't understand how materials work in Ventuz.
Diffuse Texture-->Bump-->Reflection map
Why this order?
Don't you like Bump-->Reflection-->Diffuse Texture order for example? The software should recognize the order. I will never change an environment map to diffuse texture.
Why don't create a more rational texture stack (tree) directly in the Content window?
You create a Texture node and we bind in the inputs texture 1,2,3, reflection map, glossiness map, opacity map, bump map, reflection map and we mix all of them.
How you mix all these textures? I haven't seen any parameter to mix the texture with the diffuse color. Ho you control the weight of each texture? For example I want to add a 10% of reflection map.
Probably what I'm asking for already exist in Ventuz but no tutorial or manual can explain it. The bump example is not enough.

Also assign, copy, paste texture stacks (tree) in the Hierarchy order is a nightmare.
I created an horizontal hierarchy of texture: texture map-->bump map-->reflection map. I copied this three nodes and I did a ctrl+c. Then I pressed a ctrl+v on other nodes....boom! Not a crash but the copy command creates a new hierarchy that I don't understand and can't be usable.
If I import a Collada well parented geometry and I want to copy-paste for each node a triplet of texture-->bump--ref, how can I do it?
If I import a Collada geometry with 250 nodes and I want to delete all the diffuse material nodes, how can I do it? One by one?

The last question is: how many textures Ventuz supports? Have it the same Cuda limitation?

Regards

ErikB

Re: Material creation

Post by ErikB » 24 May 2013, 14:08

gabrielefx wrote:I understand that every graphical function has to be granular to control every parameter but i don't understand how materials work in Ventuz.
Diffuse Texture-->Bump-->Reflection map
Why this order?
Don't you like Bump-->Reflection-->Diffuse Texture order for example? The software should recognize the order. I will never change an environment map to diffuse texture.
Why don't create a more rational texture stack (tree) directly in the Content window?
You create a Texture node and we bind in the inputs texture 1,2,3, reflection map, glossiness map, opacity map, bump map, reflection map and we mix all of them.
How you mix all these textures? I haven't seen any parameter to mix the texture with the diffuse color. Ho you control the weight of each texture? For example I want to add a 10% of reflection map.
Probably what I'm asking for already exist in Ventuz but no tutorial or manual can explain it. The bump example is not enough.

Also assign, copy, paste texture stacks (tree) in the Hierarchy order is a nightmare.
I created an horizontal hierarchy of texture: texture map-->bump map-->reflection map. I copied this three nodes and I did a ctrl+c. Then I pressed a ctrl+v on other nodes....boom! Not a crash but the copy command creates a new hierarchy that I don't understand and can't be usable.
If I import a Collada well parented geometry and I want to copy-paste for each node a triplet of texture-->bump--ref, how can I do it?
If I import a Collada geometry with 250 nodes and I want to delete all the diffuse material nodes, how can I do it? One by one?

The last question is: how many textures Ventuz supports? Have it the same Cuda limitation?

Regards
a) Yep, I agree with you. The current texture pipeline implementation is very powerful, but is a 1:1 implementation of the directx9 FFP. This makes it unnecessarily cryptic to normal users. We are thinking about some alternatives, hopefully in a way that is more in line with peoples expectations from other tools.
b) one easy way is to make a container with those nodes in them and use that (so basically make a materials container) you can then put it in your repository and reuse it whenever you need. (see the output node for a container)
c) selecting multiple nodes of the same kind in a branch is also on our to-do list.
d) we support 8 texture stages currently, if that is what you are asking.