Hello Ventuzians!
THE FORUMS ARE CLOSED!

Please join our discord server HERE!! << click me :D

We are shutting our Ventuz Forum, but don't worry, it will all be archived for you to search in if you have a query. From now on, please add all your comments, questions or observations into our Discord Server

Thanks for the great time - see you on discord!!
Dee, Karol, Daniel and the whoooole Product and Support team!

Max to Ventuz

Q and A about functionality and how to solve a special task for your application.

Moderator: Support

gabrielefx

Max to Ventuz

Post by gabrielefx » 02 May 2013, 08:22

Hi
I'm trying to export a complex mechanical animation from Max to Ventuz
I used the Autodesk Collada plugin.
I set the Y up vector
The geometry is ok but all animations when start rotate the objects on wrong axis.
I can't rebuild the animation in Max, I read that all the geometries should be oriented with ZYX axis...that is a scary process for every piece of the engine.
Any suggestion on how export full animation from Max to Ventuz? Does not have Ventuz a XYZ to ZYX conversion option?

Regards

Christian Krix Schmidt

Re: Max to Ventuz

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 02 May 2013, 09:01

gabriele, didn't you ask about that already before? :)

anyways, since this topic is starting to piss me off a little because everyone seems to have problems with that I quickly opened up MAX and did it myself. Mind you, I NEVER use MAX because it is a piece of shit. But OK, other people use it. So here goes:

MAX 2 VENTUZ WITH ANIMATIONS!!! (For MAX 2013 and Ventuz 3.08.01, No plugins and other software)

STEP 1: Build your scene in MAX.

STEP 2: Animate your scene in MAX. NO Mesh deformations. Only Position/Rotation/Scale!!

STEP 3: Export your scene
Export using the native MAX Collada exporter. Select "Autodesk Collada" (the .DAE file format)

STEP 4: Change the Collada export settings
You only have to change ONE setting in order for this to work. Deactivate the "Single Matrix" option. Like here:
MAX-DAE-export.jpg
MAX DAE Export settings. Everything else is DEFAULT!!!
And just to be sure, double check that the Animation export is checked. But this is the default setting.

STEP 5: Import into Ventuz
Import the DAE file with the default Ventuz settings and select "import to scene" and "Use single animation node" from the Animations category. Here is a screenshot of my importer window.
ventuzImport.jpg
Ventuz Import Settings

DONE!! That's it! No more! You do not need another software package. You do not need ANYTHING else. It just works! No problems. And it took me 3 minutes to make it work.

I did encounter one issue however. When I first imported the scene with both Animation options in the Ventuz importer selected, Ventuz did not import the animation. I was a bit surprised so I deactivated the "Use Single Animation node" option and imported the same file again. And it worked. But of course I go several Keyframe Animation nodes. So I did the import yet again and turned "Use Dingle Animation node" back on and it worked completely. One Keyframe Animation node.

Using this method imports only the actual keyframes that you created in MAX. This is the ideal version in my opinion because you only have to deal with few keyframes. If you need to bake you animation in MAX to keyframes for every single frame, the Collada exporter can do that for you as well. Select "Bake Animation" and "Resample All" from the Animation category in the MAX Collada exporter and the exporter will create keyframes for every frame based on the frame rate selected. I tried this as well and it works flawlessly.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 02 May 2013, 09:03

One more thing. I did not change any preferences in MAX. If you still encounter problems I would seriously recommend you completely uninstall MAX, delete ALL preferences, reinstall it and use the default settings for everything.

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 02 May 2013, 12:20

And the most important part I did actually forget. Damn. Shouldn't work on two projects while writing in the forum....
In order for the proper Axis selection to work you do have to change from the Y axis to the Z axis in the MAX Collada exporter.

Change the setting here:
axisSelection.jpg
I swear that's it. And it really works.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 02 May 2013, 22:14

Hi Christian,
thank you for your example but I already know all these steps, I did it several times in the past.
Your example is not good for my needs and for the 99% of medium-complex animations.

Please watch this video that I've prepared for you to explain what I mean.

https://vimeo.com/65329574

Robert

Post by Robert » 02 May 2013, 22:33

Gabriele,

Very good and usefull video.

Thx

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 05 May 2013, 07:55

Gabriele, it would have been very, very helpful if you would have specified your problem. If you would have written that you ONLY have a problem with the camera export than I would have worked on that. So basically I wasted a lot of time on something that you already know. Please don't do that again.

My answer for you after the video would be: Animate your cameras in Ventuz. That is the best way of working anyway. If you absolutely have to import your cameras from your 3D scene than use Maya. Seems to work very well. From what I can see MAX is the problem. It exports the scene differently and in a way that is not compatible and apparently also not consistent. It is strange that the scene and its animations work but the camera is not correctly exported. Ventuz seems to work because it imports the scene perfectly when exported from Maya.

So, after all that: Do not animate your camera in MAX or export via Maya if you have to.

gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx » 05 May 2013, 09:53

Hi Christian,
sorry if I was not clear in what I needed.
I'm doing some experimentations with Ventuz to see if now (with version 3.8) it's compatible with my pipeline.
I never did presentations with Ventuz and in the spare time I re-read the manual, watch the Kung-fu video and study all the tutorials. (many years ago I purchased the basic license)
I see you are the best Ventuz expert, I remember your posts when Ventuz was a baby (2006)
I appreciate your help, I would like to see around more tutorials (video) because Ventuz is an awesome tool and I think it could help me.

Regards

Christian Krix Schmidt

Post by Christian Krix Schmidt » 05 May 2013, 11:21

I hope you can fit it in your pipeline. It is an exceptionally great product.
For me it was always easy because 90% of everything I produce is in Ventuz so I worked my pipeline around Ventuz.